Talk

Advanced search

my mother always manages to make me feel worse [sad]

(9 Posts)
pleaserewind Mon 18-Apr-05 21:39:49

After having a really disapointing weekend and a row with dh (on going problems really) I meet up with my mother for our weekly excercise class.

She notices i'm miserable and asks me why (in an accusing sort of way) and when i rant about dh she says 'well you picked him and how do you think it makes me feel when your not happy, it affects my sleep and blah blah blah'

the thing is, no matter what my problems are, if i ever tell her she always makes me feel guilty (and therefore worse) because she goes on about how she's got enough to worry about etc etc.
She tells me how negative i am and then moans herself aaaaaargh

morningpaper Mon 18-Apr-05 21:40:56

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

(((((((hugs))))))))

PrettyCandles Mon 18-Apr-05 21:48:18

Yeah. Horrible. And makes you feel guilty for having bad feelings about your mum. Vicious circle.

I've been quite blunt with my mum in the past - still am from tiime to time - and toldher that I want to look at the positive parts of life more often and not to have my problems criticised. Often sets off a major criticism session, but over time her reactions towards me have become less negative and less hurtful.

Tommy Mon 18-Apr-05 21:58:51

Do you think all Mums go on a course or something to learn how to wind up their grown up daughters like this?
I am trying to ignore mine when she starts like this at the moment but I have 37 years of getting wound up by her to unlearn first!

moschops Tue 19-Apr-05 09:04:39

this has only happened once with my mum........very long and boring story of which the outcome was my mother telling me she couldn't cope with my problems, she didn't want to hear it (she was in the middle of a row between me and my sis)so i didn't talk to her for three months.............
i refuse to let her make ME feel guilty for wanting her to listen.

its a very hard situation to deal with....you have my sympathy.

Enid Tue 19-Apr-05 09:07:26

sorry short post but avoid avoid avoid - works for me

snafu Tue 19-Apr-05 09:10:42

They have such a knack for this, don't they? I will always remember the day I told my parents xh and I were splitting up, my mother's first reaction to the news was 'How on earth do you expect me to cope with that?' She still blames my marriage breakup for her depression, fgs...

The only advice I can give is try to ignore. Grit your teeth and remember you're not the only one

pleaserewind Tue 19-Apr-05 12:09:23

thanx everyone, at least i'm not the only one. It's amazing though how all through my childhood and teens she drummed it in that she would always be there for me etc etc and even last christmas she made a big speech about how she would like this be the year we get really close and do lots together.. pah!
snafu, thats awful isn't it, just what you needed at the time i'll bet just the same sort of attitude my mum has.

jellyhead Tue 19-Apr-05 12:18:23

My mother is also a member of 'irritating and always winds me up' club.
She says outrageous things and pretends she doesn't 'mean' it like that when I question her eg the other day dd [4] scratched a mole and I was looking at it mother mutters best get it removed....cancer....mutter.....mutter as dd starts to cry and I try to resist the urge to whack her.
I think the ignore advice is definatly the best not as dh said recently to 'bung her in a home'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now