Talk

Advanced search

Share one piece of advice that you are trying to pass on to your kids...

(66 Posts)
unicorn Mon 18-Apr-05 19:08:45

I wish my mum had told me (or helped me even)to look after my teeth.

It never seemed to have been an important element of my early years.

The repair bill has cost a fortune.

So I am very keen to drum into dd and ds the importance of looking after their gnashers

What about you?

Twiglett Mon 18-Apr-05 19:10:00

don't get me angry .. you won't like me when I'm angry

hang on a second, that's not me is it, that's Dr David Banner

WideWebWitch Mon 18-Apr-05 19:10:40

Don't start smoking

dejags Mon 18-Apr-05 19:10:56

to be kind, consider those less fortunate and to try and help the less fortunate. There are so many disadvantaged people in SA who are really struggling - I am determined my kids wont grow up with the blase attitude most South Africans have towards poverty and the hard life that the majority of the people here have to live with every day.

compo Mon 18-Apr-05 19:11:05

When you become pregnant for the first time don't find Mumsnet as you'll become addicted
Seriously though, after you've passed your driving test make sure you drive a lot so you don't lose your nerve/skills

MarsLady Mon 18-Apr-05 19:11:37

Keep dancing and remember.... keep your mother in the style in which she would like to become accustomed. She knows your secrets.................

morningpaper Mon 18-Apr-05 19:31:08

Message withdrawn

LGJ Mon 18-Apr-05 19:35:13

A little young for this just yet, but,

First do no harm and also, do unto others as you would have unto you.

Even if he does not stay within the parameters of his Catholic heritage, if this is his mantra in life, he will, God willing be a good person.

Lonelymum Mon 18-Apr-05 19:36:40

Work hard at school, get a good job and when the money is rolling in, don't forget your mother.

cod Mon 18-Apr-05 19:37:51

Message withdrawn

Pruni Mon 18-Apr-05 19:38:07

Message withdrawn

soapbox Mon 18-Apr-05 19:40:32

No goal is beyond your reach if you want it enough and are prepared to work hard, but don't get so caught up in reaching the goal that you forget to enjoy the journey and your fellow travellers!

morningpaper Mon 18-Apr-05 19:43:31

Start thinking about your career BEFORE the autumn after you've graduated with your useless arts degree and a 15k debt...

Pruni Mon 18-Apr-05 19:44:10

Message withdrawn

cod Mon 18-Apr-05 19:45:20

Message withdrawn

katierocket Mon 18-Apr-05 19:47:04

never take advice from a fishy bird off the t'internet

ambrosia Mon 18-Apr-05 19:48:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cod Mon 18-Apr-05 19:49:05

Message withdrawn

wheresmyfroggy Mon 18-Apr-05 19:49:38

Dont forget your old man when your career is on the way up and his is on the way down

cod Mon 18-Apr-05 19:49:43

Message withdrawn

bosscat Mon 18-Apr-05 19:51:41

Your school days are not necessarily the best days of your life. This is a myth put out by well meaning parents who want you to do well and go without making a fuss. In reality sometimes school days are bollocks, some of the fellow students are bullies and some of the teachers are terrible. But you must put a brave face on it, get on with your work, tell me if there are any problems so I can help you with them. If you are honest and work hard you can achieve anything.

bosscat Mon 18-Apr-05 19:51:50

Your school days are not necessarily the best days of your life. This is a myth put out by well meaning parents who want you to do well and go without making a fuss. In reality sometimes school days are bollocks, some of the fellow students are bullies and some of the teachers are terrible. But you must put a brave face on it, get on with your work, tell me if there are any problems so I can help you with them. If you are honest and work hard you can achieve anything.

compo Mon 18-Apr-05 19:52:05

go for a profession that is in demand and makes money rather than something too airy fairy - ie do an apprenticeship with a plumber, electrician etc rather than a degree in philosophy

motherinferior Mon 18-Apr-05 20:20:28

Food is nice, round tummies are fine, and you're gorgeous.

Dahlia Mon 18-Apr-05 20:22:12

Always phone if you're going to be late.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: