Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Am I right to be thinking of taking dd1 out of school????????????????????

(13 Posts)
BubblesDeVere Mon 18-Apr-05 12:34:11

Dd2 came home with nits last week and i treated her the same day, i am combing her hair every other day as well as dd2's and my own. Its very distressing for dd2 who is too young to understand and she sobs until she is almost hysterical because she doesn't like it. It makes my head unbearable to touch as I have bad psoriasis on my scalp and the comb scratches it, so on the whole the whole family is suffering.

Dd2 has got them AGAIN, so i think it is a problem at school, as far as I know there has been no letter sent out.
I am going to check her again tonight after a clear weekend, and if i find anymore I am considering keeping her off school for a while and going myself each day to collect her work (she is 6)

What do you think?

hunkermunker Mon 18-Apr-05 12:35:11

Have you spoken to the school?

zebraX Mon 18-Apr-05 12:43:47

Don't know about right or wrong, but I think I would do the same as you, BubblesDV.

iota Mon 18-Apr-05 12:44:08

I don't think keeping her off school will solve anything in the long term unless you were planning to Home Ed. Surely as soon as she goes back the problem will reappear?

BubblesDeVere Mon 18-Apr-05 12:46:43

I was just going to inform the headteacher of the problems that this is causing and there are obviously some parents who aren't taking it seriously and that unless it is sorted i don't think it is wise for her to be at school.

WideWebWitch Mon 18-Apr-05 12:47:09

I wouldn't keep her off. I'd get some non chemical and tea tree shampoo and wait until they're over. Nitty Gritty have products

WideWebWitch Mon 18-Apr-05 12:47:46

I really think it's an over reaction to take her out. Lice are a fact of life at school, they're aPITA but not life threatening.

ambrosia Mon 18-Apr-05 12:56:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KBear Mon 18-Apr-05 13:04:30

BubblesDV definitely speak to the head and ask her perhaps to bring in the local authority health team who might (I say might, I don't know) help tackle this if it is a big problem in the school. We always get a letter if someone in DD's class has nits and I check all the time (she's been there nearly two years and so far we've escaped them although she had them three times in nursery)). You will always get the parents who never check their kids hair so the problem is hard to deal with. I don't think taking her out of school is the answer though but mention it this to the head and she might realise how serious you are.

KBear Mon 18-Apr-05 13:05:03

my head's itching now....

MarsLady Mon 18-Apr-05 13:09:09

school policies change with gov advice quite regularly. Sometimes we get letters, sometimes not. All to do with everyone's civil liberties etc (yawn!).

No point in taking her out bubblesdv. Just check each week in bath. If you do it weekly (once clear) then you should be able to keep her clear and it will be quicker to do. Trust me, my daughter has gorgeous thick hair to die for that takes HOURS to comb through for the b*gg&rs, but c'est la vie!

FairyMum Mon 18-Apr-05 13:09:22

My head itchy now too....Can you do anything to avoid them though? I didn't think so. Surely no parentsd just leave their kids without treating them.

KBear Mon 18-Apr-05 13:14:25

They do, my friend's neighbour's DD constantly scratched, head crawling aaaaagh. Thank gawd they moved!! My DD has long hair and I always put it up in a ponytail then plait it so less hair is swinging about - seems to have worked so far or may be a fluke.

itch, itch, itch

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now