Talk

Advanced search

AAAAARRRRGGHHHH!

(13 Posts)
Flossam Mon 18-Apr-05 10:05:00

We have put a five hundred pound deposit down on a nice flat to rent week as this flat is up for sale. No-one has been to look and the price we think is too high, but the whole uncertainty was doing my head in. Put our notice in for this flat last week and this morning I got a phone call from the agent saying the landlord would give us first refusal on all the furniture in here, and take a third off the rent, about £230 a month!! But now we are comitted to the other flat which is £50 a month more than the original rent here! But we would never have known the landlord would slash the rent unless we put our notice in. Having DS would make it too risky to put our notice in before we found somewhere, hence we did it this way round. No advice needed, obviously. Just how annoying!!!!

Hermione1 Mon 18-Apr-05 10:07:05

GRRRRRRRR always the way. how annoying.

Flossam Mon 18-Apr-05 10:23:35

But now DP is wanting to loose the five hundred pound deposit to stay on here. I don't want to. The whole reason for moving was to get away from the uncertainty and worry....

starlover Mon 18-Apr-05 12:04:15

Flossam, How annoying!!!!!
Although it is kind of gutting, I think I would side with you, and say go for the new flat.
It sounds like your landlord is a bit unpredictable (understatement?), and you may find yourselves in the exact same position again in a few months time!
If he wants to sell the flat, then why has he suddenly said you can stay there for a much lower rent???

Seems a bit odd to me... you may be better off out of there!

throckenholt Mon 18-Apr-05 12:06:24

how can he lower your rent if he is also selling the house ?

Flossam Mon 18-Apr-05 19:28:20

Sorry, I don't think I explained well. He wants to lower the rent for us to get us to stay untill he finds a buyer. But obviously that would mean not knowing when we would have to leave again, we'd have to find another flat and that would also be after I returned to work, when I think time we get to spend together will be sparse. DP has agreed that we go for the other one, tried convincing me that the extra money could go towards me staying off work longer, but 200 odd quid a month isn't really enough for that to happen! I think pointing out the new flat is across the road from a pub might have won the discussion!!

Lonelymum Mon 18-Apr-05 19:38:59

Oh if the flat is still on the market, there is nothing further to decide surely? Enjoy the new flat!

Flossam Mon 18-Apr-05 19:42:19

I don't think so, no!! Was a bit scary with DP there for a while, but he just told me to do what I wanted, hurrah!!! Normally he is up for an argument about things like this, but he has been really good about this one, we haven't rowed about it yet , maybe we will save it all up for moving day!

Lonelymum Mon 18-Apr-05 19:44:31

Yes it will be the first thing he flings at you when you are rowing about somethng completely different in five years time!

Flossam Mon 18-Apr-05 19:55:25

purpleturtle Mon 18-Apr-05 19:58:08

The only person who would really benefit from your current landlord's 'change of heart' is him. He doesn't want a property that's costing him money, whilst not earning any. Get out now!

RnB Mon 18-Apr-05 19:58:48

Message withdrawn

Flossam Mon 18-Apr-05 19:59:52

You are so right PT. We'd only been here 5 months when he decided to sell. The reason we moved before DS was born was for the second bedroom and so we wouldn't have to move with baby in tow. Well that's been blown out of the window, and he hasn't even gone into his own room yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now