Talk

Advanced search

how to catch a biscuit eating mouse

(16 Posts)
starshaker Mon 18-Apr-05 08:41:40

the other day i was really looking forward to having a nice yummy chocolate orange digestive. i make my cup of tea and go to the cuboard only to find that something had been nibbling them (its not dp as his mouth is 2 big and doesnt particularly like the taste of the packet) this morning i hear a noise and go through to the kitchen i open the door and nothing. keep hearing it but everytime i look the same. just had another look and there are crumbs and bits of biscuit packet nibbled again. have moved all the yummys out the cuboard now just need to get the mouse. dont really want to hurt it so any1 got any ideas on how to get rid (nicely)

throckenholt Mon 18-Apr-05 08:45:49

sorry - there is no way to get rid of mice without killing them. I know they are really cute little blighters - but they do a lot of damage and if you leave them they will breed.

Best way is the traditional metal trap, baited with something fatty (eg bread and butter, chocolate, nut - really anything that doesn't crumble. Cheese just seems to go stale too quickly).

You also need to track down a good place to put the trap (out of reach of little fingers, but where the mouse is likely to go).

We discovered one had eaten the bathroom soap yeasterday

Bearess Mon 18-Apr-05 08:47:40

can't you buy humane traps - no idea where though, sorry.

starshaker Mon 18-Apr-05 08:49:55

pity u cant use a biscuit cos thats what it seems to like. wish i had my cat again sniff she would have protected me.

dont need to worry bout small fingers bumps not born yet so will be a while lol

will get dp to deal with it poor wee thing

throckenholt Mon 18-Apr-05 08:51:26

what do you mean by humane ? The normal traps are human in that they kill them very quickly. Others that trap them live mean you have to take them somewhere far away to stop them coming back - which means they may end up dying in some other way - just that you don't get to see it and feel guilty .

Honestly - it is not a time to feel squeamish - you will regret it.

Also you can use poison - but many mice are immune to it now, and you can never be sure where the dead mouse went .

throckenholt Mon 18-Apr-05 08:52:03

humane not human !

flamesparrow Mon 18-Apr-05 08:52:27

We used mouse poison for our little fellas

I wanted to get a cat, but landlord less keen!!! For some reason a slow poisoned agony was better in my mind than a splattered mouse

starshaker Mon 18-Apr-05 08:53:20

will get dp to get traps on the condition he makes sure they are checked pretty sure i know where to get it as its in the cubours with my fav bics lol

throckenholt Mon 18-Apr-05 09:01:17

just make sure you don't put it somewhere where you might pick it up - picture stumbling in tired hungry, reaching for biscuits ......

We humans are lovely - happy for things to die as long as we don't have to see the results

Issymum Mon 18-Apr-05 09:14:05

Make your own humane mouse trap. Here are the instructions:

Humane Mouse Trap

We've done this twice (when the cats have brought in a live mouse and it's escaped) and, amazingly, it's worked both times.

Really whacky site!

starshaker Mon 18-Apr-05 09:36:06

cool will give that a try

starshaker Wed 20-Apr-05 16:54:50

tried loads of things but they didnt work now i have set some traps really didnt want to kill it but it has obviously been in crib as found mouse poo have washed them all but this means war now. still have 1 humane trap hoping it will go for that first but other ones in the bedroom as will not feel so kind if its there again anyway. hope it likes nutella

tortoiseshell Wed 20-Apr-05 16:56:38

We used humane mouse traps, baited with peanut butter, and they were really effective - got rid of the mouse problem totally! And the mice were really cute in the little boxes - we just released them in the garden and they stayed out there.

starshaker Wed 20-Apr-05 16:58:31

all i can say is they better be gone before bumps arrives i dont have a prob with mice dp is scared of them lol. lets hope it works though

Milliways Wed 20-Apr-05 17:01:58

I have only just won our mouse wars.

I used humane traps (rentokil ones from homebase & Robert Dyas), but we had so many. I used to empty the traps every morning (they LOVE chocolate) but one morning they had eaten their way out. (They were nesting in a converted bungalow roof space - just off my bedroom!) I gave in a bought a "Little nipper" killer trap plus a plug in buzzer thingy. Caught 2 in the trap & haven't seen any since - still leaving chocolate out but no signs of any sort in any of the main places where we used to get droppings (around vegetable rack etc).

I think the buzzer thing did the trick. It says allow 3-5 days to work, and i got my last 2 mice the first 2 nights.

starshaker Wed 20-Apr-05 17:06:27

i have 1 humane and 2 little nippers did see the buzzy thing will maybe get 1 as we live in the country with loads of fields and stuff around

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now