Talk

Advanced search

What would you think if stuff you gave away on mn ended up for sale on e-bay?

(24 Posts)
seller Sun 17-Apr-05 14:44:51

That's it really.

suzywong Sun 17-Apr-05 14:46:27

well my adoptive countrywomen have an expression..."ropable"

it's just not cricket

cod Sun 17-Apr-05 14:48:13

Message withdrawn

emmatmg Sun 17-Apr-05 14:50:25

i'd be a tad p*ssed off i think.

JoolsToo Sun 17-Apr-05 14:50:37

I call it enterprise

NomDePlume Sun 17-Apr-05 14:50:39

I'd be a bit pissed off, but TBH, if I gave it away then it's not my place to give a monkeys really is it ?

Enid Sun 17-Apr-05 14:51:39

well...I'd feel a bit miffed at first but chalk it up to experience.

Gobbledigook Sun 17-Apr-05 14:52:14

I've thought about this before as someone gave us an Emmaljuna (?) double pushchair as they were going to throw it out - we have never used it and dh has said to sell it but I feel a bit odd about doing that as the people that gave it to us could have done that.

From a logical viewpoint, if you give something away or sell it to someone, it's then their property and they can what they like with it I suppose.

mancmum Sun 17-Apr-05 14:52:36

this happened to a friend of mine -- she gave a poor friend loads of baby stuff as she claimed she could not afford to buy it... then saw her selling it at a car boot... she was more pissed off about the woman not acknowledging it than the actual act ... after all if you give something away, unless you explicitly state that you want it back, it is up to new owner to get rid of it how they choose

flashingnose Sun 17-Apr-05 14:54:07

I think if you give something away, the recipient should then pass it on for free when they're done with it.

LIZS Sun 17-Apr-05 14:56:13

Sadly it wouldn't surprise me if this were happening as there are some Mnetters who seem buy/sell a lot, and it has occurred to me, cynic that I am, that it may be used as a source for Ebay lots. Not given stuff away on here myself so perhaps speaking out of turn, but if I had given things away on one basis and found it was being sold on for pure profit (rather than due to a change in circumstances or having fulfilled its use) I'd be p*ed off.

tortoiseshell Sun 17-Apr-05 14:57:56

I wondered that about one or two buyers/sellers, particularly when they hadn't posted on other topics. But, it's legitimate, not illegal, so I suppose it's going to happen.

Enid Sun 17-Apr-05 14:58:12

well I sell stuff on Ebay that the buyer then sells on Ebay AGAIN for a larger profit margin. This happens a lot.

Not good karma to get stuff for free then to sell it IMO. We were given baby stuff for dd2 and I couldn't bring myself to sell it when we had finished with it - we gave it away in turn and felt warm and fuzzy

snafu Sun 17-Apr-05 15:00:17

I wouldn't be exactly thrilled about it but, then again, if I'd given something away it wouldn't be mine anymore. Therefore it's no longer really any of my business what the recipient ultimately does with it.

suzywong Sun 17-Apr-05 15:03:22

but the question is would you be dissapointed if another MNer had done this?

Enid Sun 17-Apr-05 15:10:55

yes I would

WideWebWitch Sun 17-Apr-05 15:11:49

Oh come on then, who dunnit?

JoolsToo Sun 17-Apr-05 15:13:37

will seller tell?

PuffTheMagicDragon Sun 17-Apr-05 15:16:09

Wouldn't bother me tbh. Life's too short.

enigma Mon 18-Apr-05 14:50:58

Yes, I'd be peeved too

Gwenick Mon 18-Apr-05 14:53:10

who, what when and where

And no it wouldn't really bother me - at the end of the day if someone does that the chances are they probably need the money..............

swiperfox Mon 18-Apr-05 15:24:24

I do't think i'd be too bothered but I agree very much that if you are given something through someone else's kindness then you should carry that on and give it away to someone else who needs it.

paolosgirl Mon 18-Apr-05 15:41:18

If I gave it away in good faith, I'd be fuming. If I sold it, and then they sold in on through Ebay I'd chalk it up to experience (but that person's card would be MARKED, I tell you!!!)[grin}

rickman Mon 18-Apr-05 16:02:11

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now