Talk

Advanced search

Seperation anxiety (6 months old baba)

(16 Posts)
biglips Sun 17-Apr-05 14:19:40

last friday i left baba in a creche at the leisure centre (i already given her brekkie and bottle before i arrived) as i went off to do Aquafit with mum and i returned back an hour later.. my mum was waiting for me to finished getting dressed and she was waiting outside the creche but she heard a screaming child over the tannoy coming from the creche and mum looked thru but could see the girl feeding my baba but to realised that that screaming baba was mine

i knew she was gonna be like that as whenever i go to peoples houses she cry whether im there or not but she is happy in her own house as she feels more comfortable.... (im a SAHM so she is with me nearly all the time) so next week im gonna look for a creche for her to learn to adapt different environments with me there and without me there.....

she is not a clingy baba as i pick her up when i wants to (meaning everytime she cried, i dont pick her up straight away) and plus i do go to mums and babies group and baba sees other babies but it went im not there and in a strange environment

Can you give me any advice as im a first time mummy

biglips Sun 17-Apr-05 14:42:25

bump

pixiefish Sun 17-Apr-05 15:52:24

My dd was like this at that age. She will get better with time. Could you start having your mum take her out for a walk and then leave her at your mum's house and gradually build up to leaving her longer/at creche

Chandra Sun 17-Apr-05 16:59:15

I think that if she stayed happily and oinly started to cry later it may not necessarily be separation anxiety but probably something else (i.e. She wanted another toy, etc.). I believe she is a bit young for separation anxiety but even if it's not, pixie's suggestion is very good to get her prepared before sep. anxiety kicks in at around 9m.

biglips Sun 17-Apr-05 17:39:57

well mum is living with me at the mo but when she does take baba out all day (she had done it twice) she had been good and only cried when she was hungry... but i feel bad leaving her at the creche... i can leave her in the family room for ages without her crying but when i take her to other peoples houses she start to cry.... the girl at the creche said baba didnt wanna know her bottle and the only time baba cried when she hungry or got wind... i know its young but i wants her to start get used of me not being there now and again

biglips Sun 17-Apr-05 21:45:59

bumpity bump

biglips Sun 17-Apr-05 22:24:59

biglips Sun 17-Apr-05 22:42:42

any ideas pls? as i dont have a clue what to do

BarbaraX Sun 17-Apr-05 23:56:59

biglips, my advise is that she is still very young, things will improve when she is older and she goes to nursery or childminder.I would never leave my dd with anyone until i knew she felt confortable. my advise is, if you need childcare, even for a few hours a week, get her gradually used to one or two people or places and make them a routine/regular/familiar events, rather than expect that she should get used to be ok be left anywhere with anyone on demand.

i do not expect babies or toddlers to feel at ease in a new environment with what they really are to them'strangers'within a short period of time so i am not surprised that she cried in the creche. it can take childrens weeks to settle in new environemnts that they visit regularly ie nursery or childminder, i do not expect them to feel ok somewhere like a gym creche occasionally used and where staff may be different all the times.

for example my dd has been with childminder since 8 motnhs old, went to nursery from age 15 months (2y old now) and she is not clingy, she very outgoing and confident child, but she would object to be left in a new place with strangers. my childminder used at college creche for a couple of hours once a week while she was doing some training, but dd took 3 attempts before she happily stayed there, she was 15 months then.

for example she took a week to feel ok to be left at the nursery, after first week she still cried when said bye in the morning but i was told she was ok after few minutes of me leaving. it really took a few months to reach the stage where she is really exited to go and sad to leave. and it is the same place everyday with more or less the same people. other children were exaclty the same, some took 2-3 weeks before the parent could leave them for a full day

BarbaraX Mon 18-Apr-05 00:00:12

sorry just noticed go mixed up with dd ages,

i think she started nursery at 17 months not 15 as previously stated

biglips Mon 18-Apr-05 11:41:14

thanks everyone - ill have a go this week

biglips Fri 22-Apr-05 11:07:54

oh dear ! - i went to two local creche in my area - one was for over 2 yrs old and the other is £3.50 per hour or £14.55 pw for half a day !!!!! (yikes).. the only place i can think of is where i go for the mums and babies group (they are on the surestart scheme) and take baba to Toy library as well but that means ive gotta be there

biglips Fri 22-Apr-05 11:40:26

bump

biglips Fri 22-Apr-05 20:11:00

bump

biglips Sat 23-Apr-05 16:08:36

bump

biglips Sat 23-Apr-05 16:35:26

anyone got any ideas pls? or do i have to pay?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: