Talk

Advanced search

Do I NEED a TV licence?

(64 Posts)
NoTVlicencehere Thu 05-Mar-09 21:52:31

Hello all - I have changed my name for this as a group of us were talking about this today, I dont want to ruin my MN privacy!

We have a tv that we use occasionally (sp?) for watching dvds and videos on, it is in the lounge.

The aerial is in another room entirely!

When we moved to this house last year I moved the tv licence to this address for a month or so, essentially so that we could watch The Olympics! I cancelled it after that.

The licencing authority sent a letter saying they would visit to check, they havent...... yet!

The crucial questions are

1 Do I need a licence for a tv that I only ever watch dvds or videos on?

2 If I watch programmes on the internet, BBCiplayer etc is that illegal without a licence?

3 I am practically glued to my digital radio all day long! Do I need a licence for this?

I hope that makes sense

I really really dont want to get into trouble

lou33 Thu 05-Mar-09 21:53:40

i think you do

HairyMuff Thu 05-Mar-09 21:55:17

Says here you do need one even if watching TV like iplayer through the puter.

FromGirders Thu 05-Mar-09 21:55:20

Do I need a TV Licence?

-
You must be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV. It makes no difference what equipment you use - whether it’s a laptop, PC, mobile phone, digital box, DVD recorder or a TV set - you still need a licence.

You do not need a TV Licence to view video clips on the internet, as long as what you are viewing is not being shown on TV at the same time as you are viewing it.

If you use a digital box with a hi-fi system, or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.
-

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 05-Mar-09 21:55:46

You need a licence to watch BBC iplayer.

Desiderata Thu 05-Mar-09 21:58:22

Of course you need a license!

A pub has to have a licence to play music over its speakers, and you need a license to listen to the radio, or any other media.

Who do you think pays the artists if no one ever pays to listen to them?

NoTVlicencehere Thu 05-Mar-09 21:58:39

Really - oh pants!

I only watch about 4 hours a week on iplayer/4oD!

It seems frustrating that there isnt a sliding scale, a few £ for people who hardly watch and heaps of ££££ for those who have it on from the moment they get up

Katisha Thu 05-Mar-09 21:59:01

No you don't need a license for the radio at all.

Katisha Thu 05-Mar-09 21:59:59

But anything TV related - yes.

NoTVlicencehere Thu 05-Mar-09 22:00:45

So if we assume I have no tv or laptop whatsoever and listen to the radio, do I still need one?

What about the first question to do with only ever watching dvds or videos - the tv never ever gets nearer than 10 metres to the aerial......

Sorry if these questions sound utterly dense

HairyMuff Thu 05-Mar-09 22:01:36

YEs if you only recieve sound for radio then you don't need one. But if you receive pictures and a TV signal then you need one.

CarGirl Thu 05-Mar-09 22:02:03

why don't you ring them up and ask them?

plusonemore Thu 05-Mar-09 22:02:12

"It seems frustrating that there isnt a sliding scale, a few £ for people who hardly watch and heaps of ££££ for those who have it on from the moment they get up "

No, its frustrating that we are forced to pay for something that we may not want- what if you only watch sky, for example. I cannot believe they are allowed to get away with it.

Katisha Thu 05-Mar-09 22:03:03

TV license rules

If only radio you don't need one.

Ivykaty44 Thu 05-Mar-09 22:03:15

You do not need a TV Licence to view video clips on the internet, as long as what you are viewing is not being shown on TV at the same time as you are viewing it.

This bit means you can watch tv on a pc as long as it is not live tv - so watching the clip an hour after the show has been aired on the tv would be fine.

So no licence is required to have a pc with internet conection.

Galava Thu 05-Mar-09 22:04:10

Radio is OK but having receiving equipment in the house counts I'm afraid.

I'm surprised they havent been round to check. I've got a second home and we currently dont have a TV there and nor do we want one. We cant use the computer cos there isn't a landline.

But boy.. the hassle, letters every six months to confirm, phone calls to explain the situation ... it would be easier to fork out and get a second licence.

The funny thing is my car has a TV in it so if there's anything we need to watch while we are away we just go and sit in it ! The car is covered btw with our main residence btw if anyone was worried !

NoTVlicencehere Thu 05-Mar-09 22:04:11

Plusonemore, I agree about that too

Trouble is for me, entirely not in my defence I only ever watch bbc or channel 4, literally 3-4 hours a week if that but still mainly bbc which is what the licence goes to doesnt it.

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 05-Mar-09 22:04:52

But it's not a PC, it's a TV!

Ivykaty44 Thu 05-Mar-09 22:06:35

Galva - that would mean if you have a pc and internet you would have to have a license - which you dont have to have legally.

I know that when the tv licence man visited and there was no tv that was fine - even though there was a pc and internet connection.....

NoTVlicencehere Thu 05-Mar-09 22:07:44

Ivykaty44 Which would suggest you can watch the iplayer as that isnt live, but others here seem to think that is not allowed

Oh dilemmas! The thing is I want to be able to watch 2-4 favourite programmes as and when I choose, iplayer, 4oD is fantastic for that

If I get a licence I will have real trouble not watching it for hours and hours and hours every day.

Seriously I actually used to watch Jeremy Kyle from choice.................. how foolish is that blush

NoTVlicencehere Thu 05-Mar-09 22:09:01

They cant actually check re watching the iplayer on a computer can they.......... surely not

Katisha Thu 05-Mar-09 22:12:50

I would ring and ask to be sure...

Ivykaty44 Thu 05-Mar-09 22:13:58

Well the licence man visited - after much harrasment and a letter complaining that he never blardy came and yet we could d with the extra convesation (as we didn'yt have atv) then threatening them with taking them to court as they kept sending threatening letters - they sent the licence man round to the house. He visited, looked to see there was no tv, saw there was internet and pc as it was on at the time. No problem

TBF how would they be able to prove that you had been watching the tv on the internet? the ISP will not give any information to TV licencing due to it being against data protection and they have to obey this law. The tv licencing would need to get a warrent, to get a warrent you need to have proof - without the ISP giving the proof they are stumped in a catch 22 as the court will not give them a warrent without the proof.

They are not allowed to check your pc, as it would be against the law to walk into your house and start useing your pc.

So if you have no tv set in your house and an internet connection with your pc you do not have to have a licence to use the internet.

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 05-Mar-09 22:17:47

There was an interview with someone from the BBC, on Radio 4 or 5, when they launched iplayer, and he was very clear that you would need a licence to watchk the service.

And the OP is talking about using a TV, not her PC, for which a licence is definitely required.

Galava Thu 05-Mar-09 22:17:57

How strange ... that was the information I got when speaking to a chap at the licensing office some time ago.

NoTV, I think you need to phone up and get something in writing for your particular situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now