Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should I appeal against this parking ticket?

(13 Posts)
Hayls Fri 15-Apr-05 13:05:01

I parked in a council run car park yesterday, bought a ticket but accidentally left it (face up) on the passenger seat. Fine is £20 within 7 days or £40 within 28. Is it worthwhile appealing against it? Don't want to lose appeal and pay £40! The ticket says 'ticket not dispayed in windscreen'...
Any advice much appreciated

WideWebWitch Fri 15-Apr-05 13:06:25

Worth a go I'd have thought. After all, you did pay to park and you can prove it.

WideWebWitch Fri 15-Apr-05 13:06:48

I wouldn't admit to it being on the passenger seat though (I'm going to hell!)

LGJ Fri 15-Apr-05 13:07:39

I would pay it, not worth the hassle, I know some of them have cameras now to support the ticket, and if you appealed and they produced a photo of the ticket facing downwards, you will be in for £40.

HTH

LGJ Fri 15-Apr-05 13:08:51

Duh memo to self, read thoroughly before posting

Xena Fri 15-Apr-05 13:09:58

I think if you sent in a photocopy (presuming you kept it) of the ticket you bought they will let you off. More than half of the tickets that are appealed against are quashed.

coldtea Fri 15-Apr-05 13:12:58

I once appealed a parking ticket & won!!

I had parked in a disabled parking space by mistake. It was not marked clearly & i had paid for a 24 hour ticket(won't bore you with the details!).

I paid the fine & then appealed it. It took a lot of very angry phonecalls on my part before they eventually relented & refunded me the money.

It has to be worth a go , but be prepared to go to war with them

Merlot Fri 15-Apr-05 13:18:13

I had a similar situation a couple of months ago - except my ticket was on the dash (face down! )

I wrote a grovelly letter about how the ticket must have fallen over etc (i'm sure you could say the same thing...but you found it on the passenger seat! - strong breezes round your part of the world you know... ) and how that the ticket still had two hours to go when I was fined...which it did...and how I wouldn't dream of intentionally evading the rules...which I wouldn't.... and I was let off (with a dont do it again type letter!)

Up shot of all this ramble is DO APPEAL - I would be truthful about it being on the seat though, someone told me that parking attendants carry digital cameras with them to prove that tickets were not displayed - how true that is I'm not sure, but I wouldnt like to chance it.

marz Fri 15-Apr-05 13:21:43

Not suggesting you do this but apparently in some boroughs some people deliberately let it go to court as they get dropped as councils are so much in arrears with dealing with tickets / clamps etc that they don't even turn up to court case and so it gets dropped!!! Can you believe the amount of money being wasted through all of this?! (I am in Lonodn, Enfield and this is the case here apparently, been told by a man who actually had this happen to him!)
Saying that, I am currently appealing bus lane fine....from Islington as dd needed to wee and I was not being a danger or obstructing a bus, just went to lane about 20 metres too early. Have said that if I had not done this then dd might have wet herself and this would cause eczema on back of legs, ruin car seat + she is on long term treatment for urine infection......watch this space and I will let you know how it goes!

MaryP0p1 Fri 15-Apr-05 13:26:29

I'd give a go and send them a photocopy if you have one.

We once got a parking ticket on a car that wasn't even in the country. Aren't we clever. We appealed and after much aguing they agreed they were wrong.

kid Fri 15-Apr-05 13:30:57

I would appeal as long as you have kept the ticket. I would be weary about if they use cameras, I have actually seen a warden taking a photo of a car he gave a ticket to.
I also know of a case when my mums friend had a resident permit displayed on her car window but they clamped the car anyway and took a photo of it. Their trick though was to take the photo at a certain angle so they sun reflection hides the permit, very cheeky they were. My mums friend ended up winning her appeal!

SoupDragon Fri 15-Apr-05 13:42:04

Definitely appeal. After all, it could have fallen off your windscreen and landed face down on your seat...

Essbee successfully appealed in similar circumstances recently - P&D ticket had fallen off windscreen. I believe she sent a copy of the P&D ticket with her appeal.

Hayls Fri 15-Apr-05 14:08:23

Ok, will definitely appeal. Fingers crossed- could really do without having to pay this fine. I was actually parked there so I could attend a job interview (which I didn't get
Two job rejections and a parking ticket in one day, tels a lot about my luck, doesn't it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now