Talk

Advanced search

Sky TV

(4 Posts)
kiddiz Mon 02-Mar-09 13:56:59

I understand to have sky installed you need to have a phone line. But I have no need of their interactive or pay to view services so can I just disconnect the phoneline?
I am only considering getting sky for the free channels...the aerial reception for digital tv is pretty rubbish where I live.
I've been told I can pay £25 not to have the box connected to the phoneline but why can I just not unplug it without coughing up £25?!!!

MaryBS Mon 02-Mar-09 14:58:28

You can, but if they find out, they get a bit uppity and can insist you connect or they'll charge you a fee. I think there is something in the contract you sign to this effect.

But I've known someone disconnect and they never found out.

kiddiz Mon 02-Mar-09 15:45:34

So basically I could unplug it and plead ignorance if they ever find out. As I have no intention of using any of the services that require a phone connection they won't be missing out on any money from me so I don't see what difference it makes whether it's connected or not.
My concern is that it may have a detrimental effect on our broadband/telephone service. Thats why I don't particularly want it plugged in to the phoneline. Plus the potential for errors and being charged for stuff I haven't asked for or had. Maybe I'm worrying for no reason but I've had bad experiences with telephone companies and have a vague memory of a case in the news where someone's sky connection ran up a huge phone bill.

LadyOfWaffle Mon 02-Mar-09 15:48:18

I don't have my phoneline in, haven't for years. You only need it for box office etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now