Talk

Advanced search

Is he the father?

(46 Posts)
squirrel3 Thu 14-Apr-05 20:40:15

Can two brown eyed parents have a blue eyed child?

mummytosteven Thu 14-Apr-05 20:40:40

yes it is possible. happened with my mum.

starlover Thu 14-Apr-05 20:42:27

yep. me and dp have a blue eyed baby.

you both have to have a blue eye gene, and that gives you a one in four chance of having a blue eyed baby as blue is recessive

hoxtonchick Thu 14-Apr-05 20:43:37

yes, if they got a blue eyed gene from their parents (child's grandparents). brown in dominant so brown+blue=brown but the blue gene is still there. if your partner had the same brown+blue combination (meaning he has brown eyes), you could both give blue genes to your child who'd therefore have blue eyes. does that make any kind of sense at all?!

trefusis Thu 14-Apr-05 20:44:48

Message withdrawn

trefusis Thu 14-Apr-05 20:45:14

Message withdrawn

squirrel3 Thu 14-Apr-05 20:46:43

Only my cousin's girlfriend had a child 7 months ago and she has bright blue eyes, (exactly the same colour as my cousin's best friend) both my cousin and his girlfriend have brown eyes. Everyone is suspicous as the child looks so much like the best friend. What would you do?

starlover Thu 14-Apr-05 20:47:29

lol.

everyone has 2 eye colour genes one from mother and one from father.

so if you inherit a blue and a brown you will have brown eyes because brown is dominant.

you still have that blue gene though.

if you both happen to pass that blue gene onto your child s/he will have blue eyes.

starlover Thu 14-Apr-05 20:48:16

I would do nothing. having blue eyes is NO indication that your cousin is not the father.

squirrel3 Thu 14-Apr-05 20:57:56

Ok, thank you. I was going to just do nothing myself, but everybody is talking about it and I don't think its fair. IF the child isn't his he should be able to find out himself as he loves his daughter to bits, he shouldn't find out through gossip! I will be able to tell the gossips what has been said here and hopefully shut them up.

Loobie Thu 14-Apr-05 21:00:38

Well thats me found out then cause my exp has brown eyes and i have hazel eys,our 2 sons both have bright blue eyes and my dd has hazel eyes like me.Whoops better track down that milkman then i suppose hey !!!!!

paolosgirl Thu 14-Apr-05 21:06:56

My bf at school had parents who both had brown eyes, she had green, her sister had hazel and her brother had blue!

Cha Thu 14-Apr-05 21:49:44

God only knows what the neighbourhood think about us... Dp is black and our son has straight blond hair just like me.

lou33 Thu 14-Apr-05 23:35:04

tamum is the one who can explain all the eye stuff

sallyenglebertstrawberry Thu 14-Apr-05 23:40:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MamaMaiasaura Fri 15-Apr-05 00:10:34

there was a thread on this a few months ago.. cant find it though!

jabberwocky Fri 15-Apr-05 01:48:23

It is completely genetically possible for 2 brown eyed parents to have a blue eyed child. Eye color is very complex. It is not a matter of a "brown gene" or a "blue gene". There are parts of the gene called alleles that make up eye color. Think of eye color as a layered effect. The more alleles you have the darker the color. That is the simplest way to look at it. Therefore, two parents with brown eyes could genetically produce a child of virtually any color because they have a greater number of alleles than 2 blue eyed parents.

starshaker Fri 15-Apr-05 01:50:23

so is it possible that 2 blue eyed parents could have a brown or green eyed baby

jabberwocky Fri 15-Apr-05 01:51:18

Not very likely, but it is so complex I would hate to say no outright.

starshaker Fri 15-Apr-05 01:54:39

was just wandering as dp and i both have blue eyes and baby due today

AnnieQ Fri 15-Apr-05 07:59:10

Don't most babies have blue eyes to start with anyway, and then the colour changes later?

expatinscotland Fri 15-Apr-05 08:06:25

yep, it's definitely possible. altho i think eye colour is governed by more than 2 alleles on a gene. for example, both of my parents have brown eyes and so do i. my husband has blue eyes. our daughter's eyes are very green (she's nearly 2 so they're past the changing shades stage)

expatinscotland Fri 15-Apr-05 08:06:25

yep, it's definitely possible. altho i think eye colour is governed by more than 2 alleles on a gene. for example, both of my parents have brown eyes and so do i. my husband has blue eyes. our daughter's eyes are very green (she's nearly 2 so they're past the changing shades stage)

expatinscotland Fri 15-Apr-05 08:08:24

Cam Fri 15-Apr-05 08:19:51

My dd1 is the green-eyed progeny of 2 brown eyed parents. My dd2 is the brown-eyed girl of a brown and a blue. I was taught at school that 2 blues cannot produce a brown.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now