Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Views on if there's an age limit to breastfeeding in public

(314 Posts)
Mud Thu 14-Apr-05 20:02:55

I am totally for breastfeeding for as long as you are able / want to do it. So have no issues with extended breastfeeding (probably would put a cut off before 3 though)

I do however think that once a baby is no longer reliant on breast milk, and is totally weaned (probably around a year when it progresses to being a toddler) that it becomes a far more private affair between mother and toddler and should remain in the home (morning and night feeds)

So at what stage does a baby no longer need milk during the day? I think from a year. I think from a year is too old to offer a breast in public. And think especially if a toddler can walk, talk, pull up your top and accept a beaker then I think that's too old to breastfeed in public

your opinion is?

JoolsToo Thu 14-Apr-05 20:03:38

Mud what have you started!

Mud Thu 14-Apr-05 20:04:06

bundle asked me, I thought I should switch threads though

morningpaper Thu 14-Apr-05 20:04:25

What's the beaker doing under my top?

Mud Thu 14-Apr-05 20:04:29

doesn't have to be WW3 here though

JoolsToo Thu 14-Apr-05 20:04:45

well I'll bet my boots there'll be some 'Mud' slinging before dawn!

Mud Thu 14-Apr-05 20:05:00

oops

Mud Thu 14-Apr-05 20:05:37

well ...

wait for it...

My name is (already) Mud

morningpaper Thu 14-Apr-05 20:05:44

Seriously I would probably start cringing at 4. I have friends feeding 2 year olds and I haven't thought much about it. Although once when a friend's son was dressed in a suit it looked a bit Little Britian...

SenoraPostrophe Thu 14-Apr-05 20:05:49

huh?

I think 70 is too old to breastfeed in public. Don't want to see any wrinkly boobs thank you very much.

bundle Thu 14-Apr-05 20:06:47

"no longer reliant on breast milk" - what does this mean?
"it becomes a far more private affair between mother and toddler and should remain in the home (morning and night feeds)" why? how different is an 11 mth old to a 12 mth old?

"So at what stage does a baby no longer need milk during the day? " - the eg in the restaurant was in the evening, i seem to remember...

"I think from a year is too old to offer a breast in public." again, why? if this is done discreetly who's it hurting?
( not ranting, genuinely interested in why someone should feel like this)

PsychoFlame Thu 14-Apr-05 20:06:54

OOoooooooooh....I sense a fight of words!!!!!!

I do think tho that there should be a time when breastfeeding toddlers is for a more 'quiet time' time (for lack of words to adequately explain)

Thomcat Thu 14-Apr-05 20:07:28

I think that whatever I think it's none of my business. It's up to the mother. If she's comfortable, then everyone else should just deal with it.

Enid Thu 14-Apr-05 20:07:57

I would probably look twice and I know my dh would think it was unacceptable but no, a 2 year old wouldn't really bother me at all

bundle Thu 14-Apr-05 20:08:04

(mud, your name's not mud with me just interested in how people feel about it and why it has to become private after a certain period like a year)

Enid Thu 14-Apr-05 20:08:19

yes, thomcat thats what I meant

Thomcat Thu 14-Apr-05 20:08:38

LOL SenoraPostrophe

bundle Thu 14-Apr-05 20:09:29

senorapostrophe, what if they're pert ??

misdee Thu 14-Apr-05 20:10:24

i persona;ly think if the mother is over 85 then she shouldnt be breastfeeding in public

JoolsToo Thu 14-Apr-05 20:11:42

I think if a breast feeding mother is over 85 its a miracle of science (although we're heading that way)

psychomum5 Thu 14-Apr-05 20:12:26

I have never thought there should be a time to stop breastfeeding...I actually wanted to continue beyond the time I actually had to stop (which was for medical reasons each time), but I still am not sure how (ummmmmmm, stuck for words here.........) it can be when a child just runs over and whips up mummy's top for a drink!!

leahbump Thu 14-Apr-05 20:12:58

I agree that it should be the preference of the mother. We do have to remeber that some people chose different parenting techniques to our own (such as attatchment parenting) and this might mean bf up to the age of three and beyond. I would not want these mothers to be confined to their homes just because they are different to me!

I also think that often the reaction to this is because we sexualise it because a child over 1 is no longer a baby. I certainly think men often do that. At the end of the day a womans boobs are a food source (for most women) and are not always sexual. Maybe I am wrong but this is my perception!!
the fact my 15 month old still feeds, that he is over one does not make it sexual- it is still a good source of food (though not the only one!).

binkybetsy Thu 14-Apr-05 20:13:27

Hmmm...this is probably not going to be popular, but I feel if they can ask for it and hold a cup, time to stop!

Gobbledigook Thu 14-Apr-05 20:14:07

I agree with Mud.

When a child is on a normal balanced 'solid' diet and drinking from a cup/beaker (ie at around 12 months) I just don't see the need for it (most formula fed babies are off bottles and formula by then) and tbh I don't know where I'd put myself is someone was bfing a walking, talking toddler in front of me.

bundle Thu 14-Apr-05 20:14:22

but why? i'm really interested in what makes people feel that way

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now