Advanced search

Have reported a child to ss - nothing has happened, what now?

(18 Posts)
lunchfromhell1 Sun 01-Mar-09 00:32:37

Ok so have posted previously with this name, I am not trolling but don't want to be recognised as a sausage roll eating, fruit shoot slurping regular so thought I would post my contentious posts under the same name.

A month or so ago I informed the NSPCC of 2 children I was concerned about. When I spoke to the NSPCC the person I spoke to took my concerns very seriously and assured me that he would make a report to SS with a reccomendation that a home visit was made asap. Now I don't think anything has been done but I can't be sure as the person that I reported would not confide in me so she could be hiding it.

Is there any way I can find out what has been done, if any follow ups have been made since my original report to the NSPCC and if nothing has been done what can I do to speed things along. I appreciate that ss can't comment on individual cases but I don't want to keep reporting them if something is happening and more importantly I don't want nothing to happen with them at all.


madwomanintheattic Sun 01-Mar-09 00:39:42

if the circumstances you reported have not changed, or have got worse, and you are still worried about whatever it was, ie you believe the children are still in danger (maybe you have witnessed something very recently which worries you) then why not contact your local Children's Services department directly?
No-one will tell you if anything is being done behind the scenes for obvious reasons, but it will make you feel like you have done your bit...

you are unlikely to ever get told anything, but hopefully you may become aware if mum is given more support/ the situation starts to change etc.

scrooged Sun 01-Mar-09 00:48:15

They won't tell you what they have done, privacy and all that. It's really frustrating. They are legally bound to investigate though so something would have been done. If the circumstances have got wores, as madwoman says, please do call them back.

lunchfromhell1 Sun 01-Mar-09 00:52:22

TBH I can't see that the circumstances have changed, it is difficult as I don't have day to day knowledge of what is going on but basically the situation is that the second oldest son is in a gang, they have taken over the house and use it as a base to take dugs in.

I am worried about the youngest daughter - who is 9 and has a non diagnosed general learning delay which makes her more vulnerable to abuse as well as her being a particularly beautiful child (Not that I would be any less worried of this weren't the case but I worry that this will make her more noticeable to the scummy bastards that have free run of her home).

I am also worried about the other brother who is 11 and has recently been diagnosed with Aspergers - he is so easily influenced and could easily be persuaded to do something for this gang which would land him in serious trouble which he wouldn't be able to understand, this is on top of the obvious physical danger he is in, I fear that as the gang are taking drugs in the house that they might find it funny to give him some.

Their mother is completely unable to take control of her house, she has a very low iq and has no boundaries for her own children let alone anyone elses. She loves babies but has literally no idea about how to be a parent and without serious help from the authorities I don't see how she can escape from the situation she is in.

I am not in a position to help with the kids or give advice to her but would welcome any suggestions as to where I can try and get her 'official' help from.

ScottishMummy Sun 01-Mar-09 00:56:27

statutory agencies and voluntary cannot disclose their intervention.may be part of pending case etc.but tbh 1month is small time to gather corroborating evidence etc

you as the complainant,but not necessarily will they keep you up to date with progerss due to legal restrictions etc

however reporting was your conscience issue.only you know what your concerns were

lunchfromhell1 Sun 01-Mar-09 01:12:23

I know really in my rational brain that they can't tell me what is going on but I just see the family and don' think anything has happened but know they all need so much help and it frustrates me that there is nothing else that I can really do.

Should I just keep going back to the NSPCC? I phoned them initially to get advice and they offered to detail my concerns and pass them on to ss and they were very thorough in their questioning and as I say took my concerns very seriously.

I don't think ss are the devil and appreciate that they are very very over stretched but I am absolutely sure that this family are already known to them from past incidents and really hope that something is being done to help not onty the children I have mentioned but the older boy who is involved in the gang to escape.

lunchfromhell1 Sun 01-Mar-09 01:16:13

Sorry, that last paragraph din't make sense - I meant that I think the older brother needs help to get out of the gang (don't think he wants that though - they have offered him the security and acceptance he has never received from his father) and that the rest of the family need help to get away from them.

solidgoldbullet4myvalentine Sun 01-Mar-09 01:18:14

You spoke to the NSPCC: have you called SS? If not, you could do so. Unfortunately they will not be able to give you much info, but then you will have done about the maximum you can do (unless you hear or see actual violence/lawbreaking taking place, in which case you could call the police if you see a crisis situation).

lunchfromhell1 Sun 01-Mar-09 01:38:36

Will phone ss tomorrow/Monday if there is no-one there tomorrow. When I spoke to the NSPCC initially I called for advice and they told me that they could take all the details and then forward on a report and reccomendation to ss so tbh I regarded that as the same as reporting it directly but will give it another go.

They did give me advice that I could call the police and request an emergency home check if I was worried that something was happening but I don't live anywhere near the family and only know the details through the one member of the family we do have contact with.

She has managed to get herself out of there and into uni, she is truly an amazing girl but over Christmas this gang of boys and 'men' threatened to rape her and she is as afraid of them as anyone else.

The problem seems to lie with the fact that there is no immediate emergency but I just fear so much for what could happen to those children.

solidgoldbullet4myvalentine Sun 01-Mar-09 11:03:14

OK it is possible that the person you spoke to at the NSPCC lost the details of your call or dropped dead or got sacked before forwarding the information on, so I would definitely advise calling SS yourself. I think they may say that they are aware of the case already, or they may not - but I think that if several people report a particular family, then they will definitely visit.

bran Sun 01-Mar-09 11:08:45

Could you also inform the police that drugs are being dealt/used in the house? Even if they don't raid the house or manage to find drugs just having them take an interest might encourage the gang to base themselves elsewhere.

tiggerlovestobounce Sun 01-Mar-09 11:11:10

I would call SS yourself. At least then you will know for sure that they have been told.

It sounds like all 3 of them need some help and support.

The other option you could try, if you feel that the house is being used for a base for drug dealing, and that people are being allowed to use drugs in it, would be to contact the police and pass that information onto them. I dont know that much about police procedure in terms of how seriously they would take something like that, but if they did become involved they might then feel obliged to refer to SS too.

QuantitativeMeasure Sun 01-Mar-09 11:12:11

I wouldnt bother contacting NSPCC again- just go straight to SS.

They sound very vulnerable.

QuantitativeMeasure Sun 01-Mar-09 11:14:59

These 'gangs' do prey on vulberable members of society as its easier to brainwash them.

We recently had to help a young woman (19 years old) with learning difficulties who was given free Crack and Heroin by dealers, unsurprisingly she became addicted and was eventually pimped out by them so she could pay off her drug debts to them.

Fucking scum.

PlumBumMum Sun 01-Mar-09 11:21:38

I would def just ring SS instead of NSPCC

junkcollector Sun 01-Mar-09 23:18:19

Could you contact someone at their school?

The school may already be aware of the situation but if not they can liaise more easily with SS and have a duty to keep bringing it to the attention of SS- You probably won't hear anything from them either but at least it's a 'next step'

Rachmumoftwo Sun 01-Mar-09 23:37:39

Can you call the police when you know the druggies are there at the same time as the children? Surely someone will have to act then, if they arrive with it all going on.

tiggerlovestobounce Mon 02-Mar-09 10:56:23

How did you get on speaking to SS lunchfromhell1?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: