Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

One dog or two?

(6 Posts)
OzJo Fri 27-Feb-09 23:46:51

We have Dd nearly 6, Ds nearly 4 and really want to get a puppy, or dog from the home for us and the kids. Neither myself or Dp have ever had dogs, but we have a notion of what's involved as we have many mates with dogs. Dp seems to think that if we're getting one, might as well get two as it won't be that much more work, and it means they'd be great company for each other.I've been reading the pros/cons of dogs on the other thread and am pretty sold on the idea, just need to decide one or two! We have a reasonable size back garden, plus lots of places nearby to take it/them for walks.....Any advice?

madwomanintheattic Fri 27-Feb-09 23:55:11

we have two.

kids are 9,7,5.

dogs love each other dearly and are far less work together than separately grin we had always had one, but dh went away and i sort of accidentally got a puppy... blush

the difference was amazing, and i do regret only having one for so long before (have always had dogs) - am slightly worried about what will happen when one goes though - i suspect doggy grief will be quite hard work...

we did rehome a dog from a woman who bought two together though... i think it's quite a big step if you've never had dogs at all before lol!

jasmeeen Sat 28-Feb-09 00:08:59

I think two dogs work better than one but get one dog first, then the other a year+ later. Dogs need to establish the leader of the pack, and that is you! Get two as puppies together and they could form a pack against you.

We are thinking of getting a second dog and nearly got two puppies together when we got the first dog, but I am so glad we didn't. It took a lot energy and training than I had imagined. Deffo up for a second dog now though.

Tiggiwinkle Sat 28-Feb-09 00:11:57

I don't think it is a good idea to get two new dogs at the same time. They will not form a strong bond with you, as their owners, and will be more difficult to train. This is even more applicable if you have never kept a dog before.

Get one dog first, and by all means get another at a later date if you still want two.

OzJo Sat 28-Feb-09 05:29:09

Sounds sensible, I was thinking if we got two from the same brood it would be good for them, hadn't thought about the them forming a pack against us thing! Maybe one now, one later would be OK...it's going to be a steep learning curve.!

seeker Sat 28-Feb-09 06:03:04

ANd with children that little I would suggest not a rescue dog, but a puppy, preferably from a family home where you can see the parents and where the puppy has been used to "normal" family life - that is, not from a breeder. I honestly don't think it would be a good idea to get a dog with an unknown history.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now