Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

quick question please

(8 Posts)
bonniej Thu 14-Apr-05 13:31:44

Can I put my daughter (nearly two) in a front facing car seat on the front seat even though I have an airbag? I know you can't put a rear facing seat with an airbag but can't find anything about front facing. I've only just passed my test and at the moment she's stuck in the back on her own and gets bored, and has tantrums (not great when you're a new driver and nervous enough!) Thanks

iota Thu 14-Apr-05 13:32:30

it's not recommended

iota Thu 14-Apr-05 13:33:45

Advice from ROSPA

Passenger Airbag in Front of Car
It is safer to put children, including babies, in the rear of the car. Some parents prefer to put babies in the front so they can keep an eye on them. However, it is very dangerous to put a rearward-facing baby seat in the front if there is an airbag fitted on the passenger side. The baby seat will be very close to the dashboard and if the airbag went off it would strike the baby seat with considerable force.

It is not as dangerous to fit forward-facing seats in the front when there is an airbag present (although it is still better to put them in the rear), but make sure that the car seat is as far back as possible and the child seat is securely held to maximise the distance between the child and the airbag.

Solution
Fit rearward facing baby seats in the rear of the car. If you feel (for medical reasons, for instance) that the baby needs to be constantly monitored, find an adult to sit with the baby.

If you must put a forward-facing seat in the front when there is an airbag present (make sure that the car seat is as far back as possible and the child seat is securely held to maximise the distance between the child and the airbag.

It may be possible to have the passenger airbag de-activated or removed, although this means that any adult passenger sitting in the front will no longer have the extra protection offered by the airbag. Check with the car manufacturer and follow their advice.

I previously posted this in an august thread which had big discussion on this

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=9&threadid=33765#783128

iota Thu 14-Apr-05 13:35:30

from a discussion in Nov on this thread here

bonniej Thu 14-Apr-05 13:36:38

that's put me off. I wouldn't mind deactivating the airbag, though if I can. If I did do this would she be as safe in the front as the back?? If not anyone got any ideas on how to stop a 2 year old asking for things every second when your driving??

bonniej Thu 14-Apr-05 13:37:06

thanks for the link, iota, i'll have a look at that thread

nailpolish Thu 14-Apr-05 13:37:44

bonniej, i had this problem. we shelled out for a car dvd player, it was £150 but saved our sanity

bonniej Thu 14-Apr-05 13:44:11

after reading that thread, I'm definately keeping her in the back! nailpolish, i'd never thought of that, the dvd player sounds like a fantastic idea. I'd easily cough up £150 if it meant I could drive without a screaming child in the back. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now