Talk

Advanced search

Possible move from UK to Dublin? What does it involve?

(4 Posts)
Easy Thu 14-Apr-05 10:54:43

DH is fed up at work, looking for a new job. I'm utterly fed up with our house, and indeed Nottingham and am encouraging him to look further afield so we have a good reason to move.

I was thinking of looking a bit nearer to my mum (glos/welsh border) but last week he applied for a job in Dublin, and looks likely to get an interview.

I know it's early days, and nothing may come of it, but ...

As I last saw Dublin 30 years ago, what is it like now, is it a good place to live? How are schools (ds is 5 1/2). What do we do about registering for tax, healthcare etc.

expatinscotland Thu 14-Apr-05 10:56:53

What does it involve? A whole lot of money. Have you seen the house prices over there ! One of my work colleagues is a Dubliner. The universities there have had to offer to pay some accommodation costs for new staff as the high cost of living made it hard for them to recruit academics.

flea Mon 18-Apr-05 16:37:58

Lots more cosmopolitan than 30 years ago...
TAX : will he be self employed or PAYE .. if PAYE the company he works for will look after everything.. However He needs to get a PPS num from the Revenue (www.revenue.ie)
HEALTH : GP : you just pay as you go (about 50 Euro a vist).. Hospitals if you can afford it most people in ireland try and have Private Health Insurance.. Bupa or VHI

Schools : depends where you will be going... Your Parish school must find you a place within its school or place you in another school... Lots of areas in Dublin now have multi or non denominational schools but you must sign up for them and you can do that from birth so that means limited places..
Also there are a lot of private schools but I know nothing about them cos I pretend they dont exist!

Davros Mon 18-Apr-05 18:43:08

Its lovely. One of my cousins and his wife moved there last year but they are from Ireland originally. Don't know if that makes a difference in terms of tax etc. I could ask him if you like. They don't have any kids but its perfect for them as its great fun, historic etc, near to their families in Kilkenny but not on their doorstep and can pop over here and to the rest of Europe when they want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now