Talk

Advanced search

Calling HunkerMunker............tell me about your lenses.....

(8 Posts)
PuffTheMagicDragon Wed 13-Apr-05 22:48:37

I really want to go for these ortho k lenses and have a couple of questions HM.

If you put them in at night, what about if you read before going to sleep? Do you read, then get up and put the lenses on?

Also, are your eyes still ok re dryness (I can't wear any of the usual lenses because of this) and just wondered how you are doing now you've been wearing them a while?

Plus, how often do you need to change the lenses - is it a new pair each time like daily disposables?

TIA

hunkersneakymunker Wed 13-Apr-05 23:04:31

Hello! Just seen this - right. I put the lenses in before I go to sleep, but have read in them for an hour or so before going to sleep - I do occasionally find they feel slightly uncomfortable for a couple of minutes after I put them in, but I just put more of the comfort drops in and blink and they soon feel fine - I think it's because I'm wearing lenses less than I was and my eyes take a moment or two to adjust to them again.

I had dry eyes before I started wearing lenses (about 15 years ago) and have always worn gas permeables (rigid lenses), as they are the type which let most oxygen to the eye. The ortho-k lenses are also gas permeable, but they are about 0.5mm bigger across than daily wear ones (doesn't make a difference when you wear them).

I get new lenses every six months - that's part of the package I'm on with my optician. I've always had this with gas permeables - the idea of throwing lenses away each night is alien to me!

And even now my sight's 20/20 (from -4.50 and -5.0 with 1.73 astigmatism), I still see clearly through the lenses - it's not like wearing spectacles and contact lenses at the same time!

HTH - feel free to CAT me if you want any more info - or ask on this thread!

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 14-Apr-05 09:35:34

Thanks Hunker . I'm going to go for a consultation with an optician in about 3 weeks. I'll probably have more questions as I go along.

They sound brill.

JoolsToo Thu 14-Apr-05 09:41:59

hope you've got your facts right there hm

actually never heard of these - you'd think their marketing team would get busy!

flashingnose Thu 14-Apr-05 09:55:06

HM, would you mind posting your optician's details on here? TIA

Roobie Thu 14-Apr-05 09:57:20

I think I will do a bit a research into these - they sound great. Would you mind me asking how much they cost?

hunkersneakymunker Thu 14-Apr-05 12:13:06

CAT me for details of my optician - not sure about putting it on here - and not sure why either! He's in west London.

I pay £40 a month for them. Which is a bit pricey compared to what I was paying for daily wear ones (£25 a month), but for me, the benefits outweigh the cost. My eyes haven't felt as comfortable since I was about 14 That price includes cleaning solution, comfort drops and check-ups, as well as the initial fitting, etc.

They're not that widely available at the moment - the equipment is quite expensive for the opticians I think. My optician wears them himself - and a friend who's also an optician said that not many opticians had had laser surgery...which was another factor in making up my mind to try ortho-k lenses!

flashingnose Thu 14-Apr-05 12:14:06

Thanks, I'll do that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: