Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can you bar withheld numbers from a mobile?

(7 Posts)
GeorginaA Tue 12-Apr-05 18:58:55

This last week or so I've been getting calls from a withheld number. Only once a day at roughly the same time each day. When I answer, they hang up ... or at least they did the first 3 times, now I just send it to answer phone every time I see withheld number and no message ever gets left.

Am assuming that because it's roughly the same time of day that it's probably some sort of automated system set to the wrong number.

Anyway, I know once a day isn't particularly bad, but it's driving me nuts. My mobile doesn't ring very often, I mostly text or ring out, and it always makes me jump and make me worry that there's an emergency. Is there a way of preventing any withheld numbers getting through?

anonymouschap Tue 12-Apr-05 19:02:14

Depends on the network - I sort of work in this field, and while it is "possible", it's not something that the providers are mad keen on, and it will block all "witheld" numbers.

It is certainly "possible" on land line phones, but again BT have not rolled out the technology (from the States, as ever we are 2 years behind) because the telemarketing companies objected.

GeorginaA Tue 12-Apr-05 19:22:53

Is it something the phone company could trace where it's coming from and just block that one number?

It's sounding like it's just going to be something I'm going to have to put up with - very frustrating.

vickiyumyum Tue 12-Apr-05 19:40:50

how long have you had your mobile phone number? i recently had this with my mobile, but the calls were coming at stupid times of the night! when i rang t-mobile to report it, it turned out my number had been recently 'recycled' when the previous owner of my phone had changed their number because of these phone calls!

GeorginaA Tue 12-Apr-05 20:04:15

Had it for ages - nice easy number to remember too so I really don't want to change it!!

GeorginaA Wed 13-Apr-05 16:54:42

Have just contacted the Telephone Preference Service about this. They've recommended the Silent Call Guard service (also free) which is supposed to reduce these calls within 48 hours.

Their registration number is: 0870 4443969
and their information number is: 0800 0831138

Will let you know if it works, but thought I'd pass on the information in case anyone else is having a similar problem.

cabbageline Wed 13-Apr-05 21:53:56

I registered with this service about 6 months ago, as I was having the same problems with my land line - It has worked for me with the exception of only 1 or 2 silent calls. Apparently you have to resister annually to retain the service. Hope it works with your mobile number too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now