Talk

Advanced search

After nearly five years...........

(25 Posts)
Lonelymum Tue 12-Apr-05 13:25:26

I went to a mother and toddler group today. It was OK. I will probably go again. But it's a long road to making real friendships isn't it?

NomDePlume Tue 12-Apr-05 13:26:12

It is.

Congratulations

dyzzidi Tue 12-Apr-05 13:26:34

Go to start somewhere! I hope you enjoyed it!

starlover Tue 12-Apr-05 13:27:29

but it's a start! especially if you are going to go again.

I also bit the bullet last week and went to a baby group with ds...

lets hope we both find some friends!

Lonelymum Tue 12-Apr-05 13:28:08

Well I felt awkward and prattish as I knew I would, but the women were pretty friendly and it was only a small group so not too overwhelming. I just feel too old to be doing this.

Donbean Tue 12-Apr-05 13:29:44

well done you!
You never know, you might make friends who become lifelong good friends, i was surprised but i have!

jangly Tue 12-Apr-05 13:32:34

You're a mother and you've got a toddler, so how can you possibly be too old?! Just make out you are doing it for the little'un.

Lonelymum Tue 12-Apr-05 13:34:25

I didn't realise I was ageist but I must be as so many mums seem so young to me. I really wanted to talk to the oe granny who was there TBH even though she was also old enough to be my mother.

starlover Tue 12-Apr-05 13:41:00

lonelymum.. don't worry! I doubt that any of them care how old you are.

I have no idea how old you are, but personally I seem to get on better with people who are older than me. I am 24, and always seem to make friends more easily (at work etc) with people who are older than me, rather than people my own age!

Just be yourself and it'll be fine. The more you go along, the more at ease you will feel. And once you have got to know one person it will be so much easier

jangly Tue 12-Apr-05 13:41:48

I'm sure she would have been delighted to talk to you. I used to love chatting to the old boy who lived next door to me!

noddyholder Tue 12-Apr-05 13:45:13

well done and keep going!It takes a while I moved to brighton 7 yrs ago and after a difficult start due to illness I have just now got a few friends

beansontoast Tue 12-Apr-05 22:39:20

well done lonelymum.i think thats great news

without wanting to sound too gushy,you remind me of someone i used to know and like enormously...

so i am really pleased for you to be stepping out and spreading a bit of lonelymum into the world.

Newbarnsleygirl Tue 12-Apr-05 22:41:34

Yey LM! Thats great

Will you be able to come to the big meet up in the summer? I would love to meet you.

Lonelymum Wed 13-Apr-05 12:43:16

Know nothing about it NBG. Where is it? And when? Right now, I am bogged down in about 500,000,000 feet of mire and mud trying to sort out a house purchase and it seems impossible to believe I will emerge from it alive, but if life ever gets back to normal, I would like to meet up.
Bit worrying knowing I remind you of someone Beansontoast. Perhaps I am that person? Perhaps I won't live up to expectation?

emmamama Wed 13-Apr-05 13:40:25

I too went to my first mother and toddler group last week. I found out about it at Christmas and it's taken this long to pluck up the courage to go! It wasn't too bad, but at 33 years old I felt extremely frumpy and old compared to the other mothers.

I sat there and longed for someone to talk to. I attempted to start a few conversations but I felt strained and predictable. Not sure I'd go back but things may improve on the next visit. Won't they?

saadia Wed 13-Apr-05 14:35:48

Perhaps emmamama, I went to one group for a few weeks and never really got talking to anyone except the lady who organised it (she was really nice), and then one time got talking to another mum with dd slightly older than my ds. We got on brilliantly, just nattering away the whole time, totally on the same wavelength, only problem was she was starting a degree course, so wouldn't be able to come again.

saadia Wed 13-Apr-05 14:36:35

Sorry, forgot to say that the point is you never know when someone new that you get along with will turn up.

beansontoast Thu 14-Apr-05 10:53:05

lonelymum...
i didnt mean to worry you so sorry bout that!just to set your mind at rest...i cant quote you on things that you have posted that remind me of this other woman,its more just a sense of your integrity and frankness with similar values.that sentence doesnt read well!
you are def not that person,her children are teenaged now,i was her nanny...or should i say their nanny?

Lonelymum Thu 14-Apr-05 12:46:23

Theirs I hope!

Aimsmum Thu 14-Apr-05 12:50:38

Message withdrawn

Lonelymum Thu 14-Apr-05 12:52:54

Intended to right after the session finished, but have now learnt that dh is away all next week and when he is away, I tend to go into shut-down mode. But if not next week, then the week after definitely. It was OK. I think you have to keep plugging away at these things don't you?

Aimsmum Thu 14-Apr-05 13:09:36

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Thu 14-Apr-05 13:09:39

Message withdrawn

Lonelymum Thu 14-Apr-05 13:34:43

Yes. From Sunday morning to Friday. What a bummer.

Aimsmum Thu 14-Apr-05 15:02:13

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now