Talk

Advanced search

How much does it cost to put house contents into storage?

(16 Posts)
collision Mon 11-Apr-05 19:03:02

Does anyone know?

We are moving back to the UK at the end of the year and thinking that if we cant find empty vacant premises for our restaurant that we will put it into storage for a while. We also want to know the cheapest way to get the stuff back to the UK. Do we hire a huge lorry or contact a firm who comes to Italy and returns to the UK with an empty lorry and ask them to take our things? Whaddya think??

LIZS Mon 11-Apr-05 19:14:10

We have a container in storage in UK (Enfield, I think) for less than £50 per month iirc. Allied Pickfords who did our removal out to Switzerland were then heading down to Naples for the main load for the return journey. You may have to be flexible over dates to take advantage of that type of collection though. Otherwise there may be an Italian firm who have a reciprocal arrangement with a company in UK.

LGJ Mon 11-Apr-05 19:21:47

Just being nosey collision, where did you settle on in the end ??

collision Mon 11-Apr-05 19:28:39

Ooh, great...thanks LIZS.

LGJ.. we havent as yet as we cant find anywhere! We are looking at the north at the moment, Southport area or maybe Bolton or somewhere. Anywhere really. If you see anything do let me know.

feelingold Mon 11-Apr-05 23:37:26

Just a word of caution, a few years ago we put our stuff into storage whilst house was finished being built then was warned by a mum at mother and toddler group that she had put all of her stuff into storage and there was a fire at the warehouse, and turns out the insurance she had through the storage company only covered a basic amount and she was out of pocket by thousands not to mention sentimental value so please double check as when we enquired with our firm we would not have been covered to value required so we took out an extra policy through our home contents insurance which luckily was not needed. As i say this was a few years ago now so maybe things have changed.

collision Tue 12-Apr-05 08:48:24

Thanks for that Feelingold. DH is not sure he wants to waste the money putting things in storage anyway. We just need to find somewhere!!

MaryP0p1 Tue 12-Apr-05 08:50:00

Collision, we are about to move to Italy. My DH is doing the move with 7.5 tonner. Where are U based?

Prettybird Tue 12-Apr-05 09:20:36

Cheapest way is to find some self-storage somewhere rather than use a removal company's own storage. The added advantage is that you can go and get things out if you need them witohut having to pay per visit.

collision Tue 12-Apr-05 10:22:33

Mary.....we are in Tuscany......where are you going? Is it expensive doing it that way and do you need a special license to drive it?????

MaryP0p1 Tue 12-Apr-05 10:26:55

We are going to Fano, in Marche so not a million miles away.

I don't know about hiring in Italy (those types of things tend to be a bit more expensive). My DH has a licence which allows him to drive that weight of van, older licences do. The van hire from the UK with European permission to drive is about 1K. He does have the inconvience of having to drive the bloody thing back though.

collision Tue 12-Apr-05 15:34:28

When are you moving because I was thinking we might be able to come to an arrangement and we could load our stuff into it, he could drive it and we could pay you for it etc etc!! Whaddya think??

What are you going to be doing in Italy?

MaryP0p1 Tue 12-Apr-05 16:43:09

I'll speak to my husband tonight about it. Where abouts do you want it to go in the UK. CAT me if you prefer to.

I'm hoping I'll do nothing at all but it seems that not going to happen as I've met a woman returning to England given up her private English tuition business. I can't look a gift horse in the face.

MaryP0p1 Tue 12-Apr-05 16:43:32

Why are you returning?

collision Tue 12-Apr-05 21:49:00

I have tried to CAT you but it wont let me use your username. I have tried 0 and O but it says there is no one called that!!

MaryP0p1 Thu 14-Apr-05 16:22:42

i HAVE SENT A cat TO YOU. hAVE YOU RECEIVED IT?

MaryP0p1 Thu 14-Apr-05 16:23:04

Sorry didn't realise the caps lock was on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now