Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Could junk food be responsible for an increase (if there is one) in aggressive behaviour?

(8 Posts)
WideWebWitch Sat 09-Apr-05 10:31:25

There was a discussion recently, Are there a lot of nasty people about or is it just me that brings them out? and what should be done if anything? about how aggressive some people seem to be (many of us have been called names by complete strangers). I asked a friend what she thought was behind it and she said 'crap food.' I might have dismissed this but for the fact that children really do behave differently IME depending on the food they've eaten - better behaviour after Jamie's school dinners than turkey twizzlers for example - so could the same apply to adults too? I just wondered what everyone thought, could there be a link?

oatcake Sat 09-Apr-05 11:04:11

I'm just trying to remember the name of the research a couple of years ago, which was set in a male prison environment. The prisoners' behaviour was markedly improved when their diet was changed to a more 'wholefoold' diet.

Was it the gainsborough project or something.

[as an aside, DS, aged 3½ had angel delight for pudding at nursery last night and can I just say it was 10.20pm before he settled...]

oatcake Sat 09-Apr-05 11:12:34

No it wasn't gainsborough, it was Gesch, the doc who did the research.

the bbc reported it here (sorry can't do the clever linking)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2764165.stm

helsy Sat 09-Apr-05 11:14:14

I started a thread on this a few weeks ago - "Could this be down to food?" when dd1 (5) came back from a visit to a "family" pub having had the foul ice cream with the blue bits on. She was an overactive nightmare for four hours before crying herself to sleep. I think there has to be something in it when you hear parents regularly saying they limit the amount of certain foods they give to their children because of what it does to their behaviour.

hunkermunker Sat 09-Apr-05 11:16:28

WWW, absolutely. I feel very strongly that you are what you eat - and who wants to be cheap and nasty and full of additives?

helsy Sat 09-Apr-05 11:17:27

Sorry WWW, missed the bit about adults - stands to reason that if people are growing up eating this stuff it could have the same effect doesn't it? I know some foods give me a headache - especially red wine

colditzmum Sat 09-Apr-05 11:57:34

I am not much of a foody, our diet does tend towards the "junky", but I have barred squash from my house. Every time my son has squash, he runs around screaming until he hurts himself, then screams in bed until gone 11pm!

sobernow Sat 09-Apr-05 12:17:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now