Talk

Advanced search

Slightly worried about reports of attempted abductions

(5 Posts)
mummyhill Fri 08-Apr-05 12:39:29

Just been to mom's and tots, we had a visit from the police telling us to be extra careful and to try and teach the little ones a bit of stranger danger as there have been two reported instances of attempted abduction in the area recently!!!! How do you do that without upsetting the kids? They range from 0-4 i suppose the real issue is with the ones who are mobile but how do iget a three year old to understand?

Xzebra Fri 08-Apr-05 12:53:48

We had a camera stolen while I'm on holiday. I explained the snatching risk to my 3yo like that -- "Do you remember that camera we had? Someone stole it and we never saw it again, I don't want anybody to steal you, so don't go where I can't see you".

I know it's blunt, maybe you can be more subtle with some children; mine need the message plain & simple to understand the point. I didn't try to teach him (at 3) not to talk to strangers, that one was too tricky.

starlover Fri 08-Apr-05 13:05:54

mummyhill... I used to look after a little girl and took a similar approach to Xzebra.
I used to tell her that she either had to be in the buggy, or stay with me in case someone stole her, or in case she got lost.
It worked, and if she started wandering off i would just say "tabitha, stay with me" and she would say "yes, don't want to get stolen... daddy be cross!"

mummyhill Fri 08-Apr-05 13:20:53

Not a bad idea will try it. I think it is a very sorry state of affairs though, we try hard to teach them to be independant then we have to back track because i sick individual is on the loose.

starlover Fri 08-Apr-05 13:21:47

i know what you mean mummyhill
it's so sad that kids can't even go out and play these days without fear of being abducted!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: