Advanced search

Help how to find an address

(8 Posts)
fuzzywuzzy Fri 08-Apr-05 10:20:23

Continuing on from my spectacularly badly spelt thread in legal. My friend has found a solicitor to get her marriage annulled, however she needs to bring details of her 'husband's' whereabouts, all she has to go on is a phone number in blackburn and a couple of first names of people he is staying with. Any ideas how to find an address??? Please help she's in bits and I am no use at these sort of things...

jampots Fri 08-Apr-05 10:22:29

well first I would speak to BT and try and ascertain what area of Blackburn his number would correspond with. Then I would be inclined to go onto and search the christian names of the people he lives with. On you can also get telephone numbers. She may have to subscribe but for about £20 it sounds worth it.

Ameriscot2005 Fri 08-Apr-05 10:28:01

I use all the time and think it is fab.

However, you need to know the surnames in order to have a hope of tracking anyone down (it would look at directory enquiries and the 2003 electoral register).

Given that you only have a phone number, you need to do a "reverse phone number lookup", and this does cost a lot more. I think you can buy a CD call UKInfo and this gives you the latest electoral roll information as well. If the number is ex-directory, I don't think you can get the information - but authorities such as the police should be able to. The solicitor should be able to help.

LeahE Fri 08-Apr-05 10:28:48 has electoral rolls so if this is all recent is unlikely to have his current whereabouts. This implies even more strongly that she should shop him to Immigration -- they have the resources to track him down while she doesn't.

Also I am pretty ure you can still get an annulment if you don't know where the person is, so long as you can show you've tried to find out.

debs26 Fri 08-Apr-05 10:43:26

can she get in trouble if she knows he tried to enter the country under false pretenses and doesnt tell immigration? think i would tell them to make sure my own back was covered, who cares if he gets in trouble, sounds like he deserves it

fuzzywuzzy Fri 08-Apr-05 10:46:12

We're going to the solicitors next week (I'm going along for moral support), she thoroughly intends on telling the home office, she already has but they need it in writing, she's figured that it would probably be easier to provide evidence that the situation under which he obtained his visa has changed if she showed the home office her annulment.
People can be so hateful, I hope he has terrible wether wherever he is......

Ameriscot2005 Fri 08-Apr-05 10:47:28

I think, personally, that it would be a good idea to contact the Home Office. At least she wouldn't be in fear of that dreaded knock on the door.

Bogus marriages are taken very seriously at the moment, and have caused a lot of expense and hassle to those of us who do things the legal way.

Ameriscot2005 Fri 08-Apr-05 10:49:42

That's good that she's taken the first step, Fuzzy. I hope they put her mind at ease and reassured her that she did the right thing.

This must be an awful situation for her - she has been wronged by someone she thought she loved and with whom she was planning to start a new life. Short of the death of a child, I can't think of a much worse situation to be in emotionally.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: