Talk

Advanced search

has anyone else NEVER lived in a house that has been "done up"?

(9 Posts)
Fio2 Thu 07-Apr-05 16:43:27

having major renovations atm. The last 6 months living here have ben very similar to camping. I was thinking about it this morning and I have NEVER lived in the 'finished" article of a house for more than a month. Hopefully we will never move from here( well not for ages anyway, maybe 10-15 years). But this is the the fourth house we have compoletely renovated and it is really getting me down a bit.

Am i the only one mad enough to keep doing it?

hoxtonchick Thu 07-Apr-05 16:46:26

no. i've only owned 2 places. did my flat up from scratch, got pregnant a few months later, moved here & had the whole place completely gutted (finished before ds born). had a whole load more done when he was 18 months. now pregnant again & enjoying the relative peace. we are never moving again!

Jimjams Thu 07-Apr-05 16:56:03

snap. Our third house- a mess- will take years to finish. Did up the other 2 to sell. ds1 found our house details from our second house a couple fo days ago and was wandering around the house with them- I was looking longingly at it as well.

Donbean Thu 07-Apr-05 17:09:31

i had no kitchen for 12 months during the renovations of our house! I had a cupbourd with a bourd over the top with a bowl, kettle and microwave on it. That is how we lived, no plaster on the walls, no carpet,skirting boards, newspaper up at the window etc,etc,etc. Awful! When the M/W came to see me for my 10 week booking in, we sat on deck chairs amongst this mess and i constantly gushed about how the house would be finished for when the baby arrived. When she left, she had plaster dust all over the back of her uniform!!!! could have died!

misdee Thu 07-Apr-05 17:17:31

ahhh my 1st flat was the onmly place that needed a lot of work. we gutted the kitchen and was without anywhere to cook and wash up for 6months. well apart from the bathroom for washing up lol. we had a toaster, deepfat fryer and microwave in the living room we also had a great chip shop and chinese takeaway round the corner .

The whole place needed every room stripped, painted, woodwork needed doing (which we did) and we were going to replace the carpets but moved before we got that far.

Fio2 Thu 07-Apr-05 17:44:41

Donbean i laughed out loud about the midwife's uniform

I am really glad it isnt just me. Atm i am climbing two flights of stairs just to fill up the washing up bowl. It is chronic

Kittypickle Thu 07-Apr-05 18:25:09

No, this is the 4th in about 6 years and yet again we were stupid enough to buy one that needs work. The first time I met my health visitor in the last house was whilst the builders were knocking the wall behind us down. I've got an architect coming next week to discuss what we should do to this one, can't face doing anything, but can't face leaving it as it is either. On my fridge is a picture of my lovely kitchen from last time that got finished days before it went on the market, just to remind me what is possible. I am sick and tired of people coming round and saying "Mmmm, it definitely has potential" in that encouraging tone of voice

anorak Thu 07-Apr-05 18:32:39

It's a great way to make money though. If I moved into a 'finished' house I probably wouldn't find the decor to my taste and would want to change things anyway.

I did up my last house in London and doubled its value in 3 years. Doing the same thing now but it has taken me 5 and a bit years so far. Something to do with having a baby and breaking my leg in the last 5 years...

noddyholder Thu 07-Apr-05 19:01:00

we are in the middle of this for the 5th time and are truly sick of it We have spent most fo today discussing whether to get a loan to finish the rest as we just want to live in a completed house Not sure about adding more to our monthly bills though

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: