Talk

Advanced search

Do you think that Mumsnet is a true reflection of society?

(110 Posts)
Pamina3 Thu 07-Apr-05 14:43:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PrettyCandles Thu 07-Apr-05 14:50:41

I think it's certainly not a true reflection in terms of politics or philosophies. I think Mumsnetters are overwhelmingly more aware of politically correct modes of speech and behaviour, and more liberal or left-of-centre. Posters who present themselves in a racially/sexually/whatever-unaware manner tend to get flamed or have to defend themselves very vigorously.

On the other aspects, I think there is a veyr broad range, probably fairly representative of the UK. It's what often makes Mumsnet so much more interesting than RL, when we wouldn't necessarily meet people so very different to us.

JoolsToo Thu 07-Apr-05 14:53:36

"Posters who present themselves in a racially/sexually/whatever-unaware manner tend to get flamed or have to defend themselves very vigorously."

very like real life then

Chandra Thu 07-Apr-05 14:54:25

No, but it may be a true reflection of the segment of society that has constant access to a computer and internet.

dropinthe Thu 07-Apr-05 14:55:21

Cor blimey mate! What you ona bout???

iota Thu 07-Apr-05 14:55:33

agree with Chandra

Toothache Thu 07-Apr-05 14:56:47

Pamina3 - I don't think it was when I started (2002). There weren't very many posters outwith South East England. That seemed to be predominantly where the meet-ups were.
But now there are a healthy mix, not only all over the UK but the world!

I still get the impression that if we did a survey of the average income of MN'ers it would sit above the national average though!!!

wild Thu 07-Apr-05 14:57:23

yes, me too, with chandra
plus literate

dinosaur Thu 07-Apr-05 14:58:57

I'm sure there are far too many Grauniad readers on here for it to be representative of society at large...

Toothache Thu 07-Apr-05 14:59:31

Well obviously there aren't many Posters who don't have access to a PC and can't read or write!

colditzmum Thu 07-Apr-05 15:02:03

No I don't at all. I think the average mumsnet income is higher, I think their children are better fed, and the parents are better educated. There is a much bigger tendency to parenting snobbishness here than in real life ("my child never eats sausage rolls!") and there is little awareness of how a poor education, poor self-esteem and grinding poverty can make someone look like a really bad parent.

On the other hand, I have witnessed more kindness, more sympathy and less bigotry here than I have ever seen in real life. All in all it is a nice place to be because it's not like real life!

wild Thu 07-Apr-05 15:02:15

some can't type tho

Tinker Thu 07-Apr-05 15:02:15

I was also wondering about this last night pamina! Agree pretty much with PC. Think it's far more left/liberal. Also, much more aware of the "right" way to bring up babies/children, more informed. I find I'm now saying (mostly in my head) "That's a load of rubbish" whenever someone tells me about any baby-related experiences

JoolsToo Thu 07-Apr-05 15:03:47

I think its left/liberal too - thats why I always put my body armour on before I log in

Bozza Thu 07-Apr-05 15:05:00

No its not, basically.

snafu Thu 07-Apr-05 15:05:32

I was going to say 'no' but the more I think about it I think it's pretty well-balanced as regards geography, income, sahp/work etc. Agree with prettycandles that perhaps philosophically it's a bit more broadsheet than tabloid, IYKWIM.

The most important thing for me is that it's a hell of a lot more balanced than my own social circle and that's why I love it

mummytosteven Thu 07-Apr-05 15:05:38

No. I do wonder whether it is more vocally left/liberal, rather than left/liberal per se. MN does seem to be becoming more economically and socially diverse tho. When I first logged on just under a year ago, there seemed to be a well-heeled/south-east bias, which is less pronounced now.

JoolsToo Thu 07-Apr-05 15:06:28

yes the Daily Mail readers are invading

Bozza Thu 07-Apr-05 15:07:10

Not representative I mean! But I'm with colditzmum - thats why I like it. When the other thread was around about the babyworld stuff that was going on re benefits I was shocked at the stuff on there.

giraffeski Thu 07-Apr-05 15:09:40

Message withdrawn

Pruni Thu 07-Apr-05 15:09:59

Message withdrawn

snafu Thu 07-Apr-05 15:10:23

And apparently one or two people log on at work

JoolsToo Thu 07-Apr-05 15:11:06

elliott Thu 07-Apr-05 15:12:09

not representative at all but fairly diverse in terms of life experience. Certainly loads of people I'd never meet in RL, but loads who (I think) are like minded

mummyhill Thu 07-Apr-05 15:12:17

Hey hold on a minute, i may have access to a computer and be aware of all the politically correct hings but i am sure that i am not the only one here who has a low income and has to worry where the money comes from to pay all the bills!!!! My Dh pays for broad band otherwise i would be on the phone 24 7 to friends and family as i am home all day, work most evenings for a pitance which puts food on the table. We try to ensure that the kids get everything they need in life but this often means going without ourselves. I have found a lot of support here, more so than in the real world. Some of the people here are snobs but a lot of them are genuine with their feet planted firmly on the ground. Thanks everyone for being there when i need a moan, shoulder to cry on or have good news to share. I think you will find that mums net is fairly reprecentational of the world we live in. I know mums who post who use an internet cafe once a week!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now