Talk

Advanced search

who's the adult her or me????

(14 Posts)
Evesmama Thu 07-Apr-05 14:33:53

just had a nitemare trying to get dd to have her afternoon nap.
it has taken an HOUR to get her to go!
cut a very long story short, ended with me really losing my temper and shouting at her to stop crying(she was asking me something, but because she was shouting and crying i hadnt a clue what??)

i feel really terrible now

she was in her bed crying and i was sat on the floor crying
how can i keep my cool??

kid Thu 07-Apr-05 14:35:51

How old is she?
My DS has just turned 3 and has decided he no longer wants naps even though I want him to continue with them for a while longer.
I tell him to lay on his bed to rest and I'll come and get him in 5 minutes. Of course that 5 minutes never comes and when he wakes up I tell him I did come back but he was asleep.

dot1 Thu 07-Apr-05 14:39:23

how old is she? Our ds1 is 3.5 and still needs an afternoon nap (or he's a complete nightmare at tea time!!) but we have had to negotiate recently and give in to some of his demands, which are: Leaving his bedroom door open (it's closed at night)
Letting him have his dummy (recently got rid of for nighttime sleeps)
Letting him read for a bit first.

We found it was easier to give in to these demands than have battles and no day time nap!! This way he has a good 1.5 - 2 hours every day. Having said that we are very firm that he absolutely has to have a nap - there's no negotiation around whether he has it or not!

Evesmama Thu 07-Apr-05 14:39:58

she 21 months and a couple of weeks ago would not go to sleep on after noon resulting in her being very ratty at tea time, totally zonking out at 7.30 and waking up anywhere between 2 and 4.30, cos she'd got all her 'good' sleep out of the way...this happend for a week or so, then persevered one day and fought(not literally) to go to sleep and she started sleeping much better agin.

last night she went at 7.45 and never murmered again until 6.45 this morning which is marvellous for her!

i know she was tired today cos she was falling asleep in her stroller on way back from mother and toddlers, but youst fought it to the bitter end

Tissy Thu 07-Apr-05 14:41:05

if I knew, I'd certainly tell you. Dd(3) was a real PITA at bedtime yesterday (probably because she was overtired). She wouldn't cooperate with undressing, and was told if she didn't help, she wouldn't get a story. So she didn't help and she didn't get a story. Cue the worst tantrum she's ever had, shrieking like a banshee, kicking the wall, the wardrobe, me, throwing her dummy under the bed, throwing the bedclothes off the bed....it went on for over half an hour...it only ended when I burst into tears and shouted at her to stop, so she stopped almost immediately and said in a very small voice, "I've stopped now , be happy Mummy". Cue more sobbing, from me....

Hope you find an answer!

Evesmama Thu 07-Apr-05 14:41:26

yeah, im adament she has her nap, cos i need a break during the day as i get no help and also she's nbearable at tea time if not then followed by bad night

managed to get her off dummies altogether 2 weeks ago!

Evesmama Thu 07-Apr-05 14:42:47

tissy, she kept saying to me "Eve stop crying first, mammy stop crying now"

kid Thu 07-Apr-05 14:44:00

I find that keeping DS busy and active inthe morning more or less guarantees an afternoon nap. Today, I let him watch the tv and he has fell asleep infront of it. Not ideal, but at least it gives me a couple of hours peace and quiet.

Evesmama Thu 07-Apr-05 14:45:52

well she's had a very active morning at m&t there was a party on too and think too much sweet stuff was ingested
only let her have it once in a while, so could be that too, plus she was very upset when leaving as she has a good friend there and didnt want to leave her

Evesmama Thu 07-Apr-05 14:47:30

she's been gone for 45 mins now and will normally have 30 mins to 1 hr 1/2 say, but because she didnt go till so late past normal time, am toying with waking her up??my stomaches churning at the thought of it, but if not and she sleeps for ages ill have the same problem tonight at 7.30??

kid Thu 07-Apr-05 14:58:42

My DS can sleep until 4pm but thats the absolute latest I will allow. That way he still goes to bed at 8pm without a fuss.
He is still sleeping soundly now. I really should have started some housework while he was alseep but I didn't want to risk waking him. (any excuse to be on here!)

Evesmama Thu 07-Apr-05 15:38:25

well, went into her room, switche doff monitir and opened blind..this woke her gradually iinstead of giving her a nudge.
she started crying again straight away, so picked her out gave her a cuddle and showed her book id bought for her while we were out this morning.
she said she wanted her 'paint'(crayons and pencils) to colour in and when i got back with them she was happily playing with some other toys we'd left out??
as we speak, shes happily amusing herself at her art table!
like it never happend!

bibiboo Thu 07-Apr-05 16:50:27

Would offering her something nice for her room help? Maybe something new to cuddle or a pretty blanket that she chooses that's special and only for afternoon naps...? So she's not officially going to bed, but "resting" with her new blanket.
Sorry if that sounds silly, my dd is only 6 mo so I don't know much about it yet, but hope it helps.

Evesmama Fri 08-Apr-05 08:19:42

that sounds llike a good idea
will see how she go's today and might give it a try.
BTW. she woke(wide awake which is v.unusual) about 10.30 last night, so took her in back bed with me and she went till 6.30, but not happy about co sleeping

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now