Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Computer help needed for a tech-idiot!

(25 Posts)
ponygirl Thu 07-Apr-05 10:34:07

We recently got broadband with a modem router so that dh and I could have shared internet access through our two computers. When the router arrived, our computers didn't have the right ports for the cable so we had to buy adapters. Since then, I have had problems with my computer crashing umpteen times a day. It just freezes then I get a blue screen with lots of error messages: "Page Fault in Non-Paged Area. A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." There are lots of numbers too, thought these change: 0x0000008E (OxCoooooo5, OxF8B07151, OxEE48D624, 0x00000000). NET8511.sys - Address F8B07151 base at F8B06000, Date Stamp 3a35a42f"

When the computer restarts I get "Sony UpnP Framework has encountered a problem and needs to close." "The system has recovered from a serious error." And then it's OK until the next time, which could be 2 minutes or half an hour.

Any ideas what could be wrong? One of the very first error messages we got seemed to suggest that it was the adapter that was the problem. Dh hasn't had these problems at all! Aaaargh!

ponygirl Thu 07-Apr-05 12:16:06

Heeeeeeeeelp!

Has crashed 4 times this morning already!

nutcracker Thu 07-Apr-05 12:27:45

Swap with DH

Sorry i know as little as you about these things.

bubble99 Thu 07-Apr-05 12:35:42

hub2dee or mummytosteven may be able to help. Maybe post a "Calling h2d or mts" thread? In case they don't read this.

ponygirl Thu 07-Apr-05 13:00:00

Thanks bubble 99! Will do!

ponygirl Thu 07-Apr-05 13:00:07

Thanks bubble 99! Will do!

hub2dee Thu 07-Apr-05 15:18:10

Hi.

Does anyone wonder why I gave up on PCs ?

They are a pile of pants which are a pain in the ass to get working.

<rant over>

ponygirl: Please consider buying an Apple Mac for your next purchase, you will never regret.

Please advise operating system for the two computers, stating which one is and isn't working.

Please advise what kind of modem / router connected to what kind of port you are using (USB / ethernet)

My guess on first reading is that this only started after installing adapter. I would guess that the driver Windows tried to 'helpfully' install on your PC is out of date (maybe even if the driver was on a CD it could be out of date) and full of bugs . I may hazard a guess that downloading an updated driver for this adapter - and possibly even for the modem if it is slightly wacky and non-standard might be needed. You need to get onto the manufacturer's Web site...

fastasleep Thu 07-Apr-05 15:19:34

My hubby would know...he knows everything but TBH I don't dare ask him at the moment! Stick to Hub2dee, plus H2D if he saw what you just said about computers

hub2dee Thu 07-Apr-05 15:38:58

What, he would like to describe the incident posted by ponygirl as 'most unusual'... 'blue screen crashes' are rare ???

If one uses the latest and greatest XP with service packs up to your elbows, you'll be fine.

If you try and buy accessories for you older hardware, running older Win 98 etc. frequently, you get shafted.

Mac OS X is a decidely stable and delicious, easy to use Operating System, and the Apple hardware, although proprietary and usually more expensive, is lovely.

<<may the flame war begin>>

iota Thu 07-Apr-05 15:40:38

hub2dee - where were you when I was looking for the capslock on my new MacMini?

hub2dee Thu 07-Apr-05 15:43:02

Probably staring at my tadpoles and Great Crested Newt.

Are you now able to type in CAPS ?

Can I ask how you're finding the Mini. I was thinking of this for dw and chucking the Windows PC out once and for all...

Is it the first time you've used OS X ?

fastasleep Thu 07-Apr-05 15:43:44

To find caps lock all you need to do is carefully balance a small toddler on the desk and watch him/her stamp on it... (mine climbs the desk just to do this lol)

iota Thu 07-Apr-05 15:45:28

yes it is - have use punchtape (eeek) menu driven stuff and all teh windows from 3.1, Linux, but never Mac until 2 weeks ago.

What is the option key - is it the one with half a dish of water on it? I now know the capslock is the rocket launcher key.

hub2dee Thu 07-Apr-05 15:56:40

You're not big on instruction manuals, are you iota ?

On my keyboard, the' option' key says 'option' ... Just figured out, you're on a PC keyboard aren't you...

Mac keyboards have a couple of dedicated keys (like that awful 'Start' button hotkey on Windows (yuck) keyboards...)

If you went for the bluetooth option on your Mini, a wireless Apple keyboard might be nice ? Otherwise they do wired ones in funky white for £30 - £40 I think.

I started with punchcards, FORTRAN and a physics teacher with a long beard. Sinclair Spectrum, DOS to 3.1 through Windows hell, exited before XP, danced with Linux, trod on toes, very contented man on my Powerbook with OS X.

PS - If you are still fond of Linux, a friend of mine did a popular howto: Debian on a Macmini here

hub2dee Thu 07-Apr-05 15:59:31

Re-read your thread and you weren't on a PC keyboard.

LOL !

fastasleep Thu 07-Apr-05 16:01:04

Why can't caps lock just have 'caps lock' on it? This is silliness! I really don't get the people who design computer stuff!

iota Thu 07-Apr-05 16:03:47

hub2dee - i was using the wireless keyboard that came with the minimac - and a one click apple mouse - that takes some getting used to - am learning the new ways slowly
A manual would have been nice, but sadly dh doesn't do manuals (like many men) he prefers to find his own way around.

iota Thu 07-Apr-05 16:06:04

macmimi keyboard does symbols rather than words - haven't found numberlock either. Any why no scrolly wheel on the one click mouse?

hub2dee Thu 07-Apr-05 16:24:32

Hi, Num lock is on my F6 key and says 'num lock' and has a little light.

Yeah, one button mouse seems out of date now, but you manage without... you could always re-use an old two button mouse (even scrollyone) knocking around (USB)...

"dh doesn't do manuals" - has he chucked it ? What's stopiing you grabbing it and having a little peak ?

iota Thu 07-Apr-05 16:33:47

hub - there's no words or lights on the F6 key. Have got a MacMini User Guide, but nothing for the wireless keyboard - dh has probably hidden it in the empty box or something.

It's just a question of a different approach - I like to read the manual, dh just goes for it and finds his own way.

Anyway, despite my carping, I do like the Macmini - seems much more reliable than the previous pc which kept losing the network and failing to reconnect, not to mention the frequent 'blue screens of death'

have still got a pc in the study, so am just going to have to be bilingual...

hub2dee Thu 07-Apr-05 16:47:15

Rummage for the manual, save yourself a lot of headaches...

PCs and Macs are quite different beasts in terms of the interface / launching applications / configuring the system etc. and it took me quite a while to feel comfortable on it.

Now there's no looking back.

A couple of useful things: Apple - TAB will cycle through open apps (similar to Windows). If you use Safari as your browser (one million times nicer than Internet Explorer to use) you can enable tabbed browsing and open dozens of MN threads in the background by Apple-Clicking on them. V. useful ! And all your Control Panel stuff is in System Preferences (in the dock). To update all your system drivers / programs with the latest security / bug fixes / patches etc. Just click 'Software Update' in System Preferences.

Best of luck with it.

Anyone contemplating the move can find loads of info on switching to a Mac on this switching area of Apple's Web Site here .

ponygirl Thu 07-Apr-05 19:18:03

hub2dee: I am running Windows XP, dh is running Win 98. He has has the blue screen a couple of times. The modem router is a Speedtouch 510 and the adapter is a Belkin 10/100 Ethernet adapter plugged into a USB port as I didn't have an ethernet port (this computer a Sony Vaio bought October 1993).

Thanks.

hub2dee Thu 07-Apr-05 19:35:33

Hi ponygirl,

Well, you're running the latest operating system from Micro$oft, so that's a start I guess.

I would begin by updating the uPnP (Universal Plug and Play) driver, which is part of Windows, so you would want to install Service Pack 2 (don't know if they've already released 3 and refuse to visit their Web site. Sorry), and any / all security fixes plus any updated uPnP driver available from their site.

This may solve the problem.

(dh must use Win98 update to check he is up to date with OS security fixes / patches etc.)

The USB to Ethernet dongle's driver may be the cause of the problem. You would need to go to Belkin's Web site, look up that adapter, and download the driver for it to your hard drive. I've just had a look and couldn't find the driver for it but believe this is the product page. Possibly it has no driver. You will need to google the product number.

After that I would look to install an updated driver for the Speedtouch 510.

I appreciate if you're not properly broadbanded this will be immensely painful, so try and do the downloads perhaps on the most stable computer.

If you feel all the drivers are fine, possibly your crashes are being caused not by dodgy new hardware but by some nasty virus or spyware app on your PC.

You need to make sure your anti virus program is up to date and run a scan.

Same for your anti-spyware program.

Traditionalists would finally suggest cleaning up the hard disk with Defrag / Disk tester / whatever those horrible apps are now called...

You could also google Speedtouch 510 / blue screen and see if that gets you anywhere, or call the ISP who sold you this equipment.

HTH

Sorry I can't spend more energy on this, but supporting Windows literally saps the chi from my soul. The system is so hard for ordinary people to keep up to date and running smoothly it's a friggin joke. To update Mac software you click one button. It has no viruses nor spyware to speak of. As only one company (Apple) make the Mac, the hardware is a 'known entity' so easier to diagnose from.

I hope you sort everything out. Post with any specifics, and if I'm awake, and my soul has not been sucked dry, I'll try and help.

ponygirl Thu 07-Apr-05 21:43:24

*Thank you* hub2dee you are a star. I will try all your suggestions, though my soul may also be a bare twig by the time I get to the end. Am sending you positive vibes!

hub2dee Thu 07-Apr-05 22:02:14

No prob. Post if (when) you run into probs. Take care of your soul. Be relieved that Apple users have chi to spare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now