Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Calling Wickedwaterwitch or other Bristolians!

(13 Posts)
Lonelymum Wed 06-Apr-05 12:55:27

I know a few weeks back WWW gave me a link to a website about places to visit in Bristol but I can't find the thread it was on and a search on Google doens't come up with anything useful either. I have 4 stir crazy children here and I am having a stressful time (house buying and selling difficulties) so we could all do with a break. Can anyone suggest a museum or attraction in Bristol that we could go to this pm? Please help!

iota Wed 06-Apr-05 13:03:19

wasthisit

tamum Wed 06-Apr-05 13:03:47

I guess you've already considered @bristol, but if not it's here . Fab by all accounts. Otherwise (cheaply) go to the Downs, walk over the suspension bridge, slide down the natural slide (bit of smooth rock that has been there since I was a kid), camera obscura, tunnel that comes out on the gorge. I'll keep thinking meanwhile

Lonelymum Wed 06-Apr-05 13:18:33

WWW gave me two links as I remember, one being for some sort of technology/industrial history attraction - can't remember more unfortunately.

Didn't know about @bristol - looks good - buit perhaps a bit too much for this pm. Where is the natural slide you mentioned? Anything else there to do?

tamum Wed 06-Apr-05 13:24:26

The bit I said about the Downs is meant to be all one trip, they're all close together near the suspension bridge on the Clifton side.

Lonelymum Wed 06-Apr-05 13:25:17

So what are the Downs exactly?

tamum Wed 06-Apr-05 13:28:06

Ummm- well, grass and stuff. Lots of space to run around, and the camera obscura is in the middle, along with the tunnel that comes out on the side of the gorge.

tamum Wed 06-Apr-05 13:31:00

Some pics here .

Lonelymum Wed 06-Apr-05 13:36:17

Am trying to persuade my childen Tamum.....

tamum Wed 06-Apr-05 13:37:28

Tell tham the tunnel is spooky, maybe? The slide is great, quite scary, but I can't remember exactly how to get there without actually being near there.

Listmaker Wed 06-Apr-05 13:39:04

The Industrial Museum (free I think) is on the waterfront off Prince St (if you have an A to Z). You can walk along the docks there and get the ferry along to the SS Great Britain and walk back etc. Look at the fountains in Millenium Square and on the Centre. My Mum took my two dds (7 and 5) there yesterday and they had a lovely time.

There is another Museum at the top of Park St. It's quite old-fashioned - art etc but also stuffed animals and a few things to do and a nice cafe and free to get in. My kids can easily waste a couple of hours there.

The Downs are good and there are lots of parks around - check on the Bristol City Council website maybe?

Let me know if you need more suggestions - more expensive ones are @Bristol or the WildWalk (by Millenium Sq or the Zoo or Odd Down farm is near Thornbury I think. Slimbridge?

Lonelymum Wed 06-Apr-05 17:00:52

Thanks for the suggestion Tamum. We went to what I presume are the downs and walked a bit, looked at the gorge, walked across the suspension bridge and back again, ds2 slid down the slide (looked a bit dangerous to me and ds1 and dd!) went to the camera obscura, everything you suggested in fact except for the tunnel (cave) as we had ds3 with us (only 2) and they didn't allow under 4's to go there. as that would probably have been their favourite thing to do. Oh well, will have an excuse to go back with dh one day.

Also, thanks Listmaker. Will try to do some of your suggestions another day (only just seen your message). SS Great Britain is a must-do but need to have dh with us as he and I are both Brunel and history freaks!

tamum Wed 06-Apr-05 17:21:59

I feel all homesick now! I'm glad you had a good time, sorry about the tunnel though. We went two years ago but dd would have been 5, so I hadn't registered that. Something to look forward to maybe. The zoo's there too, of course, for another time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now