Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

am i in cloud cuckoo land?

(6 Posts)
pleaserewind Wed 06-Apr-05 11:20:19

I live in a small town and although there are far worse places to live i am beginning to consider moving. People here seem to dump stuff, throw litter etc all over and all the kids that play out seem to be swearing and quite rough(imo)
peoples expectations seem low and my street anyway isn't very neighbourly. Every week the local paper boasts robberies, fights, mugging and last week even a murder.
I really really don't want my boys to be out and about in place like this when they are older and i won't be with them all the time.
what i am wondering is, is it really so much better in say the country or should i even go abroad?
i am so dissatisfied at the moment. Help!

Miaou Wed 06-Apr-05 11:23:47

There are better places, but you will have to look for them. I live in the Scottish Highlands, and live in a lovely, caring community with virtually no crime or vandalism, a smashing place to be. But 12 miles up the road in the nearest town there is an area which is very "rough" (crime, vandalism, alcoholism rife, truancy etc) - so you have to pick your area.

I don't know if it makes a difference, being town or country, though sadly budget does make a difference IME.

pleaserewind Wed 06-Apr-05 11:25:44

I feel that with the best parenting in the world, kids are likely to go astray being around some of the sorts here and drugs are rife

starlover Wed 06-Apr-05 12:28:40

tbh, i think that every town/city (even village), has some areas like this.

We live in the "good" part of our town, but there are some very dodgy areas and like you, our local newspaper is always full of muggings, murders, fights etc...

I don't think you can ever guarantee that you will find a place that doesn't have some of these things, unfortunately.
Unless you know someone who lives in a nice area already and can recommend it, then how will you tell?

I come from a tiny village in the middle of nowhere. Half the young people around my age are now in prison, and most of the teenage girls there have kids (i'm talking 15/16 yr olds)... I think that the country has its own issues, particularly for bored youngsters! Our village had its playgroup burned down by kids!

Smurfgirl Wed 06-Apr-05 13:41:38

I think local news papers are quite hysterical.

I live in the inncer city in grotsville, but its fine here and I have never had a problem (watch my house get burgled when i go out now i've said that). So I think its about finding somewhere with some small feeling of community. Where my mum and dad live its very nice, but its cold and sterile and urgh.

Abroad is not that much better IMO.

Fio2 Wed 06-Apr-05 13:45:38

do you live by me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now