Talk

Advanced search

Good decision makers needed please (yup it's me again!)

(11 Posts)
Flossam Tue 05-Apr-05 23:07:49

Ok, so our rented flat has been put up for sale. It has been two weeks so far and no-one has been to look at it yet. The neighbours think it is overpriced, and is unlikely to sell quickly. It is a lovely flat, but it is in essex rather than London and the area is not hugely desirable. The flat is a modern flat and there are lots of new builds around. We will have two months notice from when an offer is put in.

But the whole thing is worrying me quite a bit. I know hair loss after pregnancy is normal, but I got the letter about the selling as a complete shock, and my hair loss has started ever since. We were thinking of trying to buy in Bristol, but DP thinks that he has better promotional opportunities up here, meaning I might be able to stay at home more with DS, as he'll earn more money, which I think is the most important thing atm.

So we are thinking we will still be up here for a good year, so moving again will be inevitable. Our neighbours are wanting to let out their one bedroom flat next door, which we could probably survive in for six months with DS. I have toyed with the idea of asking them for the convinience of moving next door, but think as we will be here for longer than that probably it won't be practical.

The whole point of this is would you wait untill you were served your notice or would you try and get out and secure yourselves somewhere else? Trying to work this all out is tying me up in knots, I'm not sleeping very well and I'm going round in circles with what to do!

expatinscotland Tue 05-Apr-05 23:09:25

Get out and move elsewhere. This 'maybe' 'maybe not' and having to prepare your home for viewings is far too stressful for you if you're losing hair of it. Hair is too precious to lose over s/one else's property, dahlin'.

JanH Tue 05-Apr-05 23:12:08

Move next door for 6 months, then you have a definite deadline to aim for. Someone might buy your current flat for cash (you never know!) and you would have to make a panic decision.

wheresmyfroggy Tue 05-Apr-05 23:12:53

I would start looking for places straight away cos you may miss a really good one and then find nothing when your place is finally under offer, you dont have to go mad but at least you'll have an idea as to what about and what you can afford etc before you are under pressure and maybe make a rash decision.

Mud Tue 05-Apr-05 23:12:57

if its stopping you sleeping or worrying you all, get out and move on your terms - why stay somewhere when you are not sure of how and when you will have to vacate - I think its a renter's market, take your time looking for something else, but at least having made a decision will help - that is what I would do anyway

bubble99 Tue 05-Apr-05 23:14:38

I would be inclined to jump before I was pushed. Where you are now is not going to feel like (even a temporary) home if you know that the owner is trying to sell. I would move into the one bedroomed flat next door and just deal with it for the year or however long it's going to be. How old is your DS? If he's tiny then it's no big deal. If he's older then you just have to get organised with trips out every day for fresh air and sanity. Does the next door flat have a garden? No problem if it doesn't. Mr Bubble and I survived with DS1 in a first floor flat with no garden for 18 months. Not ideal but you make do and it sounds like you may be saving on rent in the meantime.

hunkermunker Tue 05-Apr-05 23:16:13

Agree with JanH - at least you'd not be moving far and it would be concrete dates and things - less worry all round. Then move to a lovely house in Bristol

kid Tue 05-Apr-05 23:20:06

I think you should move now rather than all the waiting not knowing how long before you will have to move.
How old is your DS? We didn't move DD into her own room until she was just over 2.

Flossam Tue 05-Apr-05 23:24:05

The only thing is it might be for longer than 6 months and then we would have to move again before we get to bristol. So I think we will have to look round elsewhere where we should be able to be settled. But you are all saying get out so I think I will work on that. As much as i love this flat everything is so uncertain.

Flossam Tue 05-Apr-05 23:24:41

sorry, ds is 5 months this week

debs26 Tue 05-Apr-05 23:25:12

i would look for something else as you may find something fantastic. dont know if this is a possibility in your area but have you tried applying for a housing assiciation place? i got one after getting a list of possibles from local council housing office. they are cheaper and well run. definately better than private rentals as you know they are not going to put them up for sale...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now