Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mice - how many can ther be?

(11 Posts)
milliways Tue 05-Apr-05 18:32:20

Since I discovered mice in our loft cupboard (chalet bungalow) - who ate my store of Easter Eggs that were well hidden!!!!! - I have been removing them 1 at a time via a humane trap. Have got at least 7 now, how many can there be?

I did consider putting down some sticky paper, but didn't like the thought of a dozen stuck live mice looking at me - couldn't kill them and wouldn't want to pick them off!

ps - We have 2 cats - who probably bought them in in the first place. Cannot put cats in loft space as it is v.well insulated & they would get fibreglass in their paws.

debs26 Tue 05-Apr-05 18:34:32

thousands. one mouse got in my house, two weeks later i found about 8. first must have been pregnant cos i know there was only one, the sodding cat sat there as it ran in thru the back door! if i hadnt found them before they had all grown up and mated ..... who knows!

dejags Tue 05-Apr-05 18:38:43

milliways, not sure about this and here's why:

we had a mouse in our house, we thought after a few weeks that there was more than one. Now in good old South Africa there is no such thing as a humane trap so we had to resort to the old fashioned mouse-trap. This was a real last resort but when we found the mouse feasting on the baby's cereal we had no other choice.

We too feared that there were more. Sadly this mouse did go to meet his maker (within an hour of laying the trap) and even worse we have not found evidence since of another one.

I feel awful!!!

SoupDragon Tue 05-Apr-05 18:40:40

How far away are you releasing the mouse from the humane trap? You need to take then a looooooooooooooong way away or they simply come back in. You could have removed the same mouse 7 times.

Of course, there could well be loads of them unfortunately.

milliways Tue 05-Apr-05 18:43:08

Oh believe me - I nearly got a normal trap when I found the remnants of kids Easter Eggs! However, already had humane trap as our cats keep bringing them in, they play dead, cat looses interest & they are off. We then shut cat in room with them (not humane) or leave trap around, knowing only the one. These must have been breeding, & I am fed up with taking them out for a walk!

milliways Tue 05-Apr-05 18:45:24

I put them over the fence into the cemetary (220' garden) and hope they will choose a neighbours garden if coming back. Or , cross road & put them in ditch with large grassy area on other side. (again 200' from house.) If trying to get in they run the gauntlet of the cats & Dog.

milliways Tue 05-Apr-05 20:06:58

Has anyone tried the sticky paper? Did you have to kill them?

scottishmumto1 Tue 05-Apr-05 20:13:49

i was looking after someones house over the winter and there was a mice problem. some nights i was getting 4 mice in traps. over a month or so i think i got 35ish

moschops Tue 05-Apr-05 20:16:35

oooooooooo somebody suffering the same problem as me!!!

you have to empty the humane traps over 2 miles from your house or they WILL find their way back.

i bought one of those electronic devices which has helped but hasn't got rid of them totally. was talking to an expert today who says the only way to get rid of them really is good old fashioned snap traps. i didn't want to use them but i need the house to be mouse free for when baby arrives in sept so unfortunately i'm going to have to send a few of these pesky devils to meet their maker!!!!

milliways Tue 05-Apr-05 20:16:56

35! EEK! - Tak me a month at this rate.

tigi Tue 05-Apr-05 20:23:41

we caught ours (just one) in a good old fashioned proper mouse trap, behind the upsatirs sink with chocolate. We would lay in bed and hear it running under the floorboards under our bed. gave me the creeps. i then found it had chewed our bedroom carpet, then I found droppings in our shoes, and it had even been under the cot, and I found droppings in the nappy changing bag. uuuggggh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now