Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

have a look at your childrens feet for me please

(18 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

divedaisy Sat 24-Jan-09 11:51:51

my ds does not have a bulge of bone near his instep. it could be a genetic thing if both your kids have it, but if it's hurting your son I'd get it looked at. there's nothing worse than sore feet, and could lead to postural problems etc.

Lemontart Sat 24-Jan-09 11:54:39

sort of below the sticking out ankle bone lower and more forward just before the arch?
My kids and I had this, more pronounced on DD1’s skinny feet (she is 7).

Lemontart Sat 24-Jan-09 11:55:00

have sorry - not had!!

Lemontart Sat 24-Jan-09 11:57:20

is it the navicular bone? - try googling feet bones and have a look at images

Lemontart Sat 24-Jan-09 12:00:35

just googled prominent navicular bone and it does say on a few websites that people with prominent navicular bones can get sore skin on these places as they are more likely to rub on shoes etc - perhaps it is a little swollen if more prominent and makes shoes fit not quite so well?

If it continues or gets worse, swells, goes purple/shiny or other symptoms arise (high temp, unable to put foot flat on the floor) I would get medical treatment fairly quickly. Otherwise I would just monitor and perhaps get his feet measured to check the width fitting on his current shoes.

I am not a medical expert though so only the opinions of a mum

Lemontart Sun 25-Jan-09 09:01:25

glad that you can stop worrying now!

Honneybunny Sun 25-Jan-09 09:48:35

i have it as well: it sounds like your ds has what is called extra/accessory navicular bone. apparently not everyone has the same number of bones in their feet, but the term extra/accessory makes it sound like it's not you who's the freak, but us with the extra bones grin.
"Here www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11110140" it is suggested that it is an inherited trait. i'll go and check my ds-s now smile
mine has always given me some trouble with new/tight fitting shoes, but i only found out that i had it when my fil who's a radiologist got excited and wanted to xray my feet for his collection. grin

Honneybunny Sun 25-Jan-09 09:51:38

ha. ds2 has got it, ds1 hasn't.

moonmother Sun 25-Jan-09 09:54:24

TMMJ how old is he?

I took my DD to the hospital when she was 7 (8 now) as she was complaining that her foot hurt, and it was slightly swollen, I thought maybe she'd hurt/hit it without realising .

They gave her a good check and said that children foot plates, move and grow faster around this age and can cause discomfort. I suppose like 'growing pains' for feet.

I gave her calpol when it bothered her, and she was allowed to sit out of PE whilst it was painful, but within a couple of weeks it had settled down.

waspriceyp Sun 25-Jan-09 11:13:16

I have this and so do both of my DC grin, I inherited it from my Dad.

The only problems it caused me growing up were growing pains and at that time the Doc gave me ibuprofen gel to rub on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now