Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

pub licensing

(14 Posts)
lou33 Mon 04-Apr-05 20:37:52

does anyone know why you would be refused to be the name on a pub license? You know , the name above the door sort of thing?

swiperfox Mon 04-Apr-05 20:39:10

You would be refused if you have any sort of conviction. If you want I will ask dp - he's a licencee

lou33 Mon 04-Apr-05 20:42:16

ooh yes please, am being nosy about someone i know!

CarrieG Mon 04-Apr-05 20:46:40

When I applied for mine (some years ago), you would be disqualified for convictions relating to alcohol (eg. drink-driving, any sort of drink fuelled assault), certain financial offences eg. passing counterfeit money, & I think if you were an undischarged bankrupt?

Local cops could also object if they felt you might be a problem (eg. close family/marital connections to anyone spectacularly dodgy) - basically it was at the magistrates' discretion whether they regarded you as a fit & proper person.

lou33 Mon 04-Apr-05 20:48:29

plot thickens......

swiperfox Mon 04-Apr-05 20:55:16

Yes - basically you have to prove to the judge that you are an 'upstanding citizen' as basically you are in a position of such responsibility. I will def ask dp when he gets home tho - he knows the score, he's had a licence for years

Yorkiegirl Mon 04-Apr-05 20:57:03

Message withdrawn

lou33 Mon 04-Apr-05 20:58:44

thanks

pixel Wed 06-Apr-05 02:05:10

I've often wondered about the 'Queen Vic' as it always seems to be owned and run by a load of ex cons! Even the lovely Alfie had a prison record and though Peggy (I think)owned it at the time, she wasn't even in the country! These things worry me you know. Do you think I need to get a life?!

Btw my dh has had a licence for about 25 years. He says that back then you could even be refused for having a parking ticket!

swiperfox Wed 06-Apr-05 10:10:08

Hellooo dp is home today so I've just collared him - he says that it is basically the criminal record thing - basically the police would object to you holding a licence.

lou33 Wed 06-Apr-05 12:49:49

thanks, everytime i see her i am wondering what she could have done now!

Anteater Wed 06-Apr-05 13:06:14

You also have to have been on a days course about running a licensed business, magistrates will not even consider applications unless you can provide proof course has been attended and passed..

CarrieG Wed 06-Apr-05 22:22:05

Yep - after my time, that one! But it's a fairly user-friendly, one day course which wouldn't be a problem to anyone who'd worked a bar - mostly to give the 'we're going to retire & run a pub' nutters some idea of the basics!

As for police objections, I understand they now have pretty wide powers to object - & the local beak will usually be inclined to listen...so your acquaintance could've done anything or nothing...

Blu Wed 06-Apr-05 22:31:35

It's decided in the licensing session of the magistrates court - if you were really committed to finding out you could look up the records?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now