Talk

Advanced search

Where do you buy your childrens shoes from?

(83 Posts)
Newbarnsleygirl Mon 04-Apr-05 19:24:26

I've decided this summer that I want to get dd more than 1 pair of shoes.
I normally buy her shoes from Clarks but since they're £25+ I think it's a bit extreme. I looked on Nexts website today and they have some lovely ones but they're all out of stock

So...
Where do you all shop and do you have any on-line recommendations?

lunavix Mon 04-Apr-05 19:26:11

ebay and carboots!

I buy as new, or new condition only, (being well fussy) and it's a ton cheaper.

Got a BRAND new pair of next shoes at a carboot for 50p, a pair of slightly used gap ones for 50p

I'm looking at daisy roots, and someones selling them brand new for £12.99, when they're £18 plus p&p direct.

starlover Mon 04-Apr-05 19:27:28

i know i am slightly biased as work for clarks... but at least you get them fitted there! I would gladly pay that much for a pair of well-fitting shoes.
After all, if you bugger your feet up, you can't get another pair. And children's feet are so easily damaged.

starlover Mon 04-Apr-05 19:28:09

having said that... as a child I always wore start-rites... so will put in a word for them too!

NBG... you could get some doodles from clarks, they're only £12/£13

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 04-Apr-05 19:31:25

I used to be a manager for Clarks SL!

If I ever buy non-clarks shoes I always check them myself anyway before I buy them.

The ones in next were a bargain I thought. The sandals and pumps were £6.99 and the shoes £12.99 so I'm really getting 3 pairs for the price of 1 Clarks pair.

zebraXing Mon 04-Apr-05 19:32:45

John Lewis because DS developed a corn on his foot (my fault for not getting him measured properly) & I am paranoid now about making sure his shoes fit properly.

lilsmum Mon 04-Apr-05 19:33:23

yep clarks here it makes me feel so much better to know they fit properly

posyhairdresser Mon 04-Apr-05 19:36:32

Clarks are a lot cheaper than startrite so I always look there first. I am a sucker for different shoes to match different outfits though so normally have a few pairs on the go!

Shazzler Mon 04-Apr-05 19:38:04

Have to buy from Clarks too. My dd is and H width and this is really restricting I think. Not many shops to buy from in Inverness and I have to travel 25 miles to get there.

Have had shoes given to me but she has never been able to buy them because they are always too narrow.

But I agree that you only get one pair of feet.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 04-Apr-05 19:38:47

Anyone else not Clarks?

starlover Mon 04-Apr-05 19:40:25

I'll let you off then NBG!
I have to admit, I will probably end up buying DS cheaper shoes... but like you I can make sure that they do fit properly.

lunavix Mon 04-Apr-05 19:42:12

I'd like to add that I make sure ds's shoes always fit and as he's not walking it's not a huge issue atm...

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 04-Apr-05 19:43:40

When I was PG and still working there I was adament that dd would have Clarks shoes but they are so blummin expensive.

The pair she has noe are Clarks and she's had them since the end of October and she's just grown out of them. I kid you not they look like new.

ambrosia Mon 04-Apr-05 19:44:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

starlover Mon 04-Apr-05 19:45:08

oh, don't blush lunavix!
I think that before they're walking, as long as they have plenty of room in them then you're fine!

jjash Mon 04-Apr-05 19:47:38

I use Clarks or Next i f i can but for last month DD who is 2.5 will only wear barbie wellies .I kid you not .Is this harmful? apart from being a bit sweaty that is ?

franke Mon 04-Apr-05 19:48:38

In Germany (where I live) they don't do width fittings - I really miss Clarks and Startrite for that. Also kids' shoes are really expensive here - paid 50 euros (about £35) for a pair for dd this weekend and 26 euros (about £18) for a pair of very soft first shoes for ds. It's more than I spend on myself!

piffle Mon 04-Apr-05 19:50:26

I get dd sized and as she has the skinniest feet known to mankind (a b fitting would you believe) we have no option but to ebay or go continental, and you think wincing at £25 a pop is bad, one pair set me back £60!!!!!!
thankfully dd (2) now will only wear her fimbles wellies which SHE bought from a NCT Nearly new sale a few weeks ago, oh and a pair of french slippers with dogs on them!
So if your dd is a sz 4 and you want some peche d-amour purple boots - I'm your woman!!

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 04-Apr-05 19:55:04

Someone must have some good on-line places they use?

Anyone, I'm getting desperate!

JulieF Mon 04-Apr-05 19:55:09

I staretd off going to a local independant shop which did Start-rite, I then tried another which did Clarkes as they were cheaper. However due to her high instep and small size I found it almost impossible to get plain black school shoes so ended up with a make called Buckle My Shoe which were even more expensive.

Now she has gone up a size so she has school shoes from Brantano whuch are Hush Puppies and trainers from Clarks (both fitted)

Pinotmum Mon 04-Apr-05 19:58:32

I usually look in Brantano and TK Maxx. I always get their fit measured in clarks though but don't always buy from there. There are a couple of independent shops I like to go to as well. Brantano are good value.

Furball Mon 04-Apr-05 20:01:38

I go to Jones, the do all the kiddies makes, usually end up with Start-rites though.

LIZS Mon 04-Apr-05 20:03:30

franke - Elefanten, Superfit, Richter and Daumerling (sp), among other continental brands, come in weite, mittel and schmal - look for the wms mark on the insole.

We average the equivalent of £30-£50 per pair so they all sound cheap to me!

Julief, what size school shoes did you manage to find for your dd ? I think we are going to have similar problems when our dd starts school back in UK this autumn - currently around size 7/8 and narrow. Oh, and don't like Clarks btw - bad experiences when ds was younger.

sorrel Mon 04-Apr-05 20:04:06

i spend more time online looking for shoes for dd than any other thing. Gets harder and harder. i buy from vertbaudet, cloggs, clarkes, and tendersteps.co.uk
its all a bit hit and miss with the measuring tho
I think there is a massive gap in the market.I love going to france where there are plenty of great kids shoes.

Wallace Mon 04-Apr-05 20:18:05

Shazzler! I also have to travel 25 miles into Inverness! We either live very close, or 50 miles apart! Do you ever go to the First Footers shop? Some shoes there are v. expensive, but others are quite cheap. And they're fitted.

We usually go to clarks, but recently I have been thinking it is a bit of a con. S**T choice, boring ugly shoes for my dd's age (3, but only size 5.5) and for ds' size (10). There is a really good range of wee boys shoes though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now