Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

car seats... weight or age?

(30 Posts)
starlover Mon 04-Apr-05 15:26:17

ok, I am confused about car seats. I am confused about most things actually... but mostly car seats at the moment.

When thinking of moving DS from his stupid little infact carrier into a proper car seat, should I go by weight, or by age?
Or whichever comes first?

tiffini Mon 04-Apr-05 15:27:03

Weight.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 04-Apr-05 15:27:29

By weight SL.

beansprout Mon 04-Apr-05 15:27:48

When do they go up to the next one?

elliedragon Mon 04-Apr-05 15:29:03

Is he able to sit up on his own?

otto Mon 04-Apr-05 15:29:18

It's 9 months or 9 kilos, whichever they reach first.

PiccadillyCircus Mon 04-Apr-05 15:30:27

Weight. And also they need to be able to sit up unsupported for twenty minutes (or so we were told at a mums and babies meeting).

Can't remember how old DS was - maybe somewhere around a year (he's only 16 months - you'd think I could remember back that far )

starlover Mon 04-Apr-05 15:30:51

oh good, that means it'll be sooner rather than later!

He is only 8 weeks, so not thinking of getting a new one just yet... but was just wondering because it is SOOOOO heavy to lug around! I'd leave it in the car and carry him only we live in a block of flats and I have lifts and several locked doors to negotiate!

(not sure how changing the car seat is going to help that though.... told you i'm confused all the time!)

GeorginaA Mon 04-Apr-05 15:31:03

Hmm... I always thought it had to be both, due to the strength in their neck. In fact, don't the US say 1 year before facing forward? (She says, having just put her 10 month old ds in a forward facing seat).

PiccadillyCircus Mon 04-Apr-05 15:32:37

It is to do with the strength in their neck. I think in some other countries (maybe Germany) they stay in rear facing car seats until they are about 2, as they are much safer that way.

giraffeski Mon 04-Apr-05 15:33:45

Message withdrawn

starlover Mon 04-Apr-05 15:34:07

hmm interesting georgina... didn't think about the neck thing.

I am actually wanting to buy a bebe confort iseos, which you can use from birth anyway, so I could have it rearward too..... it wouldn't fit in our ford focus, but I wnt a new car too!

elliedragon Mon 04-Apr-05 15:34:19

Starlover if he is only 8 weeks I think you have a while to go yet before you can change it. Like you say could you leave the seat in the car and maybe put him in a sling to get up all the stairs?

GeorginaA Mon 04-Apr-05 15:34:39

Okay, read into it more - it's weight - the age is only a guidline of approximately when they might fit.

giraffeski Mon 04-Apr-05 15:34:57

Message withdrawn

starlover Mon 04-Apr-05 15:36:15

yeah, am thinking about just buying a little stroller to chuck him in on the way up to the flat... then can put all my bags on it too!

GeorginaA Mon 04-Apr-05 15:36:15

Yep, if you can possibly get a bigger seat which fits (yes, it's a minor miracle, I know) rearward in your car, that's by far the best as it's much much safer if you are in an accident.

I have a Micra - rearward facing seats are nigh impossible to get for them.

starlover Mon 04-Apr-05 15:44:04

yeah, the seatbelt just wouldn't go round it so we ended up with a little infant carrier after all...

I want a renault scenic though, so hopefully the seatbelts will be a bit longer in it!

HappyDaddy Mon 04-Apr-05 16:58:02

We moved dd to a front facing at 9 months. She was already over 9kg but was far too tall for the rear facing seat.

LIZS Mon 04-Apr-05 17:01:59

Can you put him in a sling to bring him upstairs ?

Wallace Mon 04-Apr-05 17:04:04

I'm sure they are supposed to be 9kg and 9 months old.

I doesn't matter if their legs look too long.

starlover - what a brilliant reason to get a new car

Gobbledigook Mon 04-Apr-05 17:11:04

I put ds1 in his before he got to the 9kg but only just under - he was just too long for the rear facing so his legs were getting squashed iykwim.

DS3 is only 7 months and he already looks too big for the Rock-a-tot he's in - and he weighs a ton in it! No idea what he actually weighs though - haven't had him weighed since he was about 2 weeks old

LIZS Mon 04-Apr-05 17:16:26

Agree with Wallace - neck muscles need to be really strong to take the force of forward facing so 9 months is just a guide as to when they may be sufficiently mature.

starlover Mon 04-Apr-05 17:16:53

Wallace... i know!!! In fact, it is mainly so that I can fit his rather large pram in the boot, along with a week's worth of shopping!
The car seat is an added bonus. Of course, once I have a big car seat I will need my new stroller to take him between car and flat so that I don't have to get the pram out every time!

lockets Mon 04-Apr-05 17:18:56

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now