Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Voting in General Elections

(13 Posts)
hunkermunker Mon 04-Apr-05 11:20:31

Do you vote? If not, what would make you vote? Should it be compulsory, but with a 'none of the above' option?

Or if you don't vote for say three General Elections, should you lose your vote? I will come out on the side of definitely yes on this one - use it or lose it!

happymerryberries Mon 04-Apr-05 11:23:36

I think that it is great shame that people don't use their vote, after all people died to get it for us. That said I don't think that countries where voting is compulsory are a good advert for making it a 'duty', IYSWIM.

I'll be voting on the day. My candedate doen't stand a chance but I'll still do it!

snafu Mon 04-Apr-05 11:24:06

Me too - compulsory but with a 'you're all a bunch of useless conniving bastards' box.

I don't understand people (especially women!) who don't use their vote.

hunkermunker Mon 04-Apr-05 11:25:22

I think one of the reasons no Government would introduce the 'dear god, none of this useless shower of tossers' box (how many names can we come up with for it?!) is because that would be the 'party' that got in

suedonim Mon 04-Apr-05 14:13:44

Lol, Hunkermunker!! I always vote. If you don't vote, you can't complain afterwards, can you??

Ds1 lives in LA and has arranged a proxy vote for this election so I guess I get to vote twice this time! Dd1 is mightily peeved because she'll be 18 on 30th May and will just miss the election.

Toothache Mon 04-Apr-05 14:29:46

Humkermunker - With your new law would the person EVER be able to regain their ability to vote? Sit an exam perhaps?? Sing the national anthem backwards 3 times fast??

At 18 yrs old I couldn't give a damn who was Prime Minister. I voted as it was the 1st year I'd been able to.... I didn't know who to vote for so voted Green Party. There's a big difference in your opinion of politics and the importance of voting when you are in your teens or twenties.... to how you feel in your 50s or 60s. So losing the vote if you don't use it is a bit harsh!

I actually FORGOT to vote in the Scottish Referendum!

I have little trust for any Politician and it's the lack of trust for any of them that stops me wanting to vote. I probably speak for a huge amount of people here.... so a box for "None of the above" would at least demonstrate that people want to vote..... but don't have enough faith in the candidates to vote for them.

BadHair Mon 04-Apr-05 14:34:10

Don't think voting should be compulsory but think there should be the none of the above box. I would make the effort to turn out and tick the no-one box, just to register my dissatisfaction with the useless parties on offer.

hoxtonchick Mon 04-Apr-05 14:39:34

oooh i love voting, still get excited about going to do it. is that a bit weird? i even vote in random local elections.

Gobbledigook Mon 04-Apr-05 14:41:39

hmb - I know what you mean about people not using their vote when others fought hard for it, but if you really aren't up to scratch on your politics and have no idea who you should be voting for then I think it's probably wise not to! Shouldn't we look at the struggle as one for the right to vote, not the obligation?

I vote btw.

hunkermunker Mon 04-Apr-05 14:46:26

hoxtonchick, I like voting and always do, in local elections too

Yes, Toothache, you'd be able to regain the right to vote. You'd have to write a letter to someone important (me, maybe? ) saying you were really sorry and that you promised to vote in every General Election you were alive for henceforth.

And then if you didn't vote again, that would be it, no more voting for you, mateychops.

Toothache Mon 04-Apr-05 14:54:13

Hunkermunker - Gawd you ARE strict aren't you! Think I'll keep voting Lib Dem.... ignorance is bliss eh?!

hunkermunker Mon 04-Apr-05 14:55:19

That's actually me being reasonable, Toothache You should see me when I'm strict!

Ameriscot2005 Mon 04-Apr-05 14:59:05

Didn't vote in the last election (living in the US at the time), but have done for all the others since I was 18.

I have always lived in extremely safe seats, so my individual vote is not important, but I do get a buzz by going to the polling station.

My husband voted for the first time last year and he was extremely excited about it (despite the boring elections).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now