Talk

Advanced search

Probably a pointless rant

(14 Posts)
anonymousflouncer Mon 04-Apr-05 10:49:42

Not even sure why I am posting this, but I think it is probably carthartic to get it off my chest.

Have become disillusioned with mumsnet (a few of us have been there eh?) - maybe it is my hormones!

Anyway, it started with me trying to help a particular mumsnetter. She didn't want my input (which was fair enough) but was a bit fecking rude about how she replied, so not being a doormat, I replied in spirit with a few choice words to her. Then a whole series of people post in support of this other person exclaiming that I was out of order for addressing her in that way. I was incredulous!

It also really upset me...and then it occurred to me, why am I letting people I have never even met upset me. Obviously confusing real life with mumsnet which has to be unhealthy.

Secondly, I sent a few items requested by another mumsnetter (which I no longer wanted) to her free of charge (and incurred heavy postage). I was expecting nothing - other than a thankyou which I haven't received.

So I've decided to go cold turkey and give up mumsnet. I shall reclaim my real life and no longer obsess about a virtual world.

Anybody else felt like this?

katierocket Mon 04-Apr-05 10:51:57

just out of interest, why are you doing this anoynomously?

agree that it's v easy to get too entwined with MN

anonymousflouncer Mon 04-Apr-05 10:53:17

Because I want to leave talk with my 'reputation' intact....so obviously what other mumsnetters think of me still matters in some way.

Blossomhill Mon 04-Apr-05 10:53:31

I hope it's not me as I requested some mcdonalds cd's but always offered postage and said thanks to everyone who sent them,

expatinscotland Mon 04-Apr-05 10:54:29

I felt like this about another board I used to frequent. So I flounced w/o a big dramatic speech about it. Just walked the walk. The net's a big place. There's a place for all of us. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Peace.

anonymousflouncer Mon 04-Apr-05 10:54:43

No it's not you!

anonymousflouncer Mon 04-Apr-05 10:55:28

Oh but I had to do a big dramatic speech expat

Enid Mon 04-Apr-05 10:55:30

Yes I have felt like this and I did 'disappear' for a few months but then came back - I recommend just disappearing quietly and then reappearing when you feel better.

I hate those threads when everyone has a go. Although it happens to me frequently as I am an opinionated old stick

Love the name btw, I think you should keep it

Blossomhill Mon 04-Apr-05 10:56:13

Phew, thanks

expatinscotland Mon 04-Apr-05 10:56:27

Well, Enid's right. If it gives you peace then, yeah, say what you need to say. A rest or break sounds a good idea.

snafu Mon 04-Apr-05 10:59:16

I left a few weeks ago saying I was going to 'reclaim my real life'. I was back less than 48 hours later

Why not just have a break and come back when you're feeling less pissed off?

flashingnose Mon 04-Apr-05 11:04:40

I think I know which thread you're talking about. IME, if you find yourself brooding about stuff people say to you on here, it's definitely time for a break. I think if you were feeling good in yourself, you maybe wouldn't have taken the comments so personally. That sounds quite harsh but isn't meant to be - the other downside of MN vs RL.

Good luck and take care.

snafu Mon 04-Apr-05 11:11:52

Oh, and if you're who I think you are, I really hope you don't go for long because you made me laugh a lot the other day...

mummytosteven Mon 04-Apr-05 11:13:47

yep, when it's no longer fun anymore, it's time to take a break from it. hope you will be back when you're feeling a bit better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now