Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what do you do for your parents?

(2 Posts)
hatsoff Sun 03-Apr-05 22:44:18

my mum is 74, she's young and fit for her years but I'm beginning to notice that she is slowing down. She lives 150-odd miles away but still comes to visit most months - determined to maintain close contact with her gcs. I love her to bits, she is the most wonderful, fantastic mum and granny I could ever wish for. I am realising that the time is coming when our roles will gradually shift - from her helping me out, to me helping her. I am resolved to visit her more often, so that she doesn;t have to make that long trip so often, but apart from that what else can I do from a distance? I would be happy to pay for a bit of help for her, in the garden or the house, (we are in a better financial position than her, she's not skint but she's not flush either) but I feel a bit uncomfortable about this, and suspect she might too, and don't know how to broach it. has anyone been in a similar situation?

polly28 Sun 03-Apr-05 23:44:36

my parents are 70 and 73 and live in canada.Luckily they are both still very independent but I do dread the time when they lose that.It's so hard being so far away.we will definately be doing most of the visiting now.

What about giving her a gift of a house clean from mollymaids or similar,or a cleaner weekly.My mum has finally agreed to having a cleaner and loves it.

sorry not much help,interested to hear others views

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now