Talk

Advanced search

Kids party at home.....how do you...

(11 Posts)
Gobbledigook Sun 03-Apr-05 16:55:33

...get everyone to leave when it's over??? It says on the invites 3-5pm but how do you signify it's time to go? Easy in venues cos they obviously just kick you out but how do I get them out of my garden???

JanH Sun 03-Apr-05 16:56:24

Is it kids only or parents too?

Gobbledigook Sun 03-Apr-05 16:58:29

Most parents are staying I think as kids are only just 4. Some friends are 'family' friends we've known for a long time so they will hang around later, but nursery friends who will be here with their Mums - how do we get them to leave or will they just go when it gets to 5?

It's a bouncy slide in the garden you see and I think they might just lose track of time or think they don't have to rush off but I'd like the last hour or so with just our closer friends and family.

JanH Sun 03-Apr-05 17:00:42

IME they do generally start to drift away anyway at end time. If they don't, start making clearing up movements - or if desperate let the air out of the slide and say it has to be back by 6 or something!

JanH Sun 03-Apr-05 17:01:33

Mind you at my 4-yr-olds' parties parents generally didn't stay.

champs Sun 03-Apr-05 17:02:27

at about quater too, you could start rounding them up, into the house and giving out party bags. Shut the garden door and thank everyone for coming. You could make sure close friends and family know to stay later before the event.

LIZS Sun 03-Apr-05 17:04:31

Start getting balloons, cake and /or party bags together in an obvious manner near the door. If you want them all to go let down the bouncy thing !! ime they don't just leave because it is the stipulated hour but once one ot two make a move they usually head off. Can you get close friends/family to "help" tidy up so that it is less obvious that they are allowed to stay.

Cam Sun 03-Apr-05 17:09:19

The candle blowing ceremony usually signals the end of the party IME. Then you stick a bit in each of their party bags handing them out as you go, saying things like "Thank you for coming darling, we'll see you at school next week, now where did we put all the coats, etc etc....."

Gobbledigook Sun 03-Apr-05 17:53:41

LOL! Thanks everyone - yes, will start to clear up and put out party bags I think. Hope they take the hint! Will do cake at the end too - might say, 'it's the end of Tom's party now, shall we sing happy birthday?'! Obvious enough?!

Lonelymum Sun 03-Apr-05 17:57:14

I have always found that parents turn up surprisingly early or at worst on time (only once had a parent turn up late and that was when the party was held in a play centre and she got lost!) Never had any difficulty getting them to go.

vict17 Sun 03-Apr-05 17:57:16

I thkn the cake, candles and singing Happy Birthday usually signifies the end of a party. We've just had our one year olds first b/day and when it was time for him to go to bed I just went round saying thnaks for the present, we're off to bed now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now