Advanced search

Can anyone give me some urgent advice, please.

(12 Posts)
Aimsmum Sun 03-Apr-05 11:44:14

Message withdrawn

Freckle Sun 03-Apr-05 11:46:37

Sounds as though it might be a bit more than the floor getting wet through showering. Have you checked any nearby pipes? Is there anyone who could call in whilst you are out, just to ensure there isn't a major flood?

I'd also call a local plumber to book a slot for tomorrow. Most would have an answerphone.

LoubieLou04 Sun 03-Apr-05 11:49:14

Maybe you should turn the water off at the mains until you've got time to investigate later.

Aimsmum Sun 03-Apr-05 11:51:18

Message withdrawn

LIZS Sun 03-Apr-05 11:53:59

Depends where it is coming from I suppose. Hope the heater is an electric one - don't leave it on if you go out.

Had a similar problem when ds was small - water dripping through ceiling into hall down a wall , turned out to be from a corroded heating pipe. I went out and left it for an afternoon - wasn't much I could do about it anyway by staying at home ! Hopefully in your case, if it were caused by the shower - either inlet or outlet pipe, or faulty seal - it won't get any worse now because there is no water going through there but it might take a while to drain. Is it easing off ?

Thing to be most careful of is if water gets near the lights or electric sockets as they could fuse. We found it also caused wooden doorframes to swell and paintwork to crack. btw household insurance covered most of it, not the plumber unfortunately, but we also required patched ceiling and redecoration.

Pinotmum Sun 03-Apr-05 11:54:28

It could be the seal around your shower that's broken so the water is getting through. This happened to us last week and ran down into the kitchen below.

LIZS Sun 03-Apr-05 11:56:17

Should be "hope the heater isn't an electric one ".

As the flat is rented all you can do for now is to minimise the damage and notify landlord/agent asap.

Aimsmum Sun 03-Apr-05 12:03:30

Message withdrawn

Freckle Sun 03-Apr-05 12:06:01

If damage is caused by faulty water pipes, surely it is your landlord's insurance which should cover the repairs? Unless your tenancy agreement specifically provides otherwise.

Anyway, enjoy the christening and I hope you come back to a nice dry home!

LIZS Sun 03-Apr-05 12:09:22

Landlord should have some sort of insurance to cover such eventualities( for carpets, curtains, fixtures etc )so don't worry too much unless it has affected your contents. However it didn't cover us for accidental damge by our tenants to a carpet, so such rental polices are not always comprehensive. You really should have your own stuff covered separately though.

LIZS Sun 03-Apr-05 12:11:36

oops posts x'd with freckle !

Wallace Sun 03-Apr-05 14:21:42

Might ahve just been the shower. It happened to us. Ds was having a shower at my mum's flat, and things got a bit wet. Somebody came up from the SHOP below to say there was water dripping through

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: