Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I've got droopy tulips!

(12 Posts)
SPARKLER1 Sat 02-Apr-05 20:42:22

Well, not me personally

Dh bought me some beautiful tulips last week and they have been fine. Today though they have all drooped over the vase and I can't get them to stand back up. They have freshwater, have tried putting them in more sunny spot but nothing has worked.
Anyone?

pupuce Sat 02-Apr-05 20:43:23

Too much water in vase. They need a low level.

JanH Sat 02-Apr-05 20:43:46

How about cutting another bit off the bottom and giving them more fresh very cold water?

Failing that, can you sort of prop them up on each other?

PrettyCandles Sat 02-Apr-05 20:56:45

Do as JanH says, but wrap them in a bit of paper or the cellophaney stuff that florists use (if you just happen to have some around ) first, and leave the wrapping on, in the water, for 24h before unwrapping them. Tulips (and gerberas) grow when you put them in water, after having been cut and out of water for some time, and they need to be supported during that brief growing phase, otherwise they droop. Which is why yours did.

RTMTMML Sat 02-Apr-05 21:13:26

Thanks for that pupuce. I didn't know that tulips only needed a little water. I know that roses need a lot and have kinda just done that with every bunch.

JanH Sat 02-Apr-05 21:16:45

I have a lovely vase for tulips - wide but waisted one way, narrow the other (IYSWIM), holds a small amount of water which goes very high up, and 10 tulips drink the lot in about 2 days.

pupuce Sat 02-Apr-05 21:18:14

Hey DH is Dutch

SPARKLER1 Sat 02-Apr-05 21:29:20

Thanks everyone. I did have the vase very full up. Have tipped some out now and will see how they go over night.
Prettycandles - funnily enough I have got some cellophane here (I use it to make things for kids parties) so if they don't brighten up over night I shall try your suggestion.

pupuce Sat 02-Apr-05 21:30:10

Keep them in a room not too warm for the night.

Steppy1 Sat 02-Apr-05 21:45:52

my mum always told me to prick a small hole just under the flower head, and that will keep them upright (don't know how it works but it works for me everytime !)

SPARKLER1 Sat 02-Apr-05 23:20:36

Thanks Steppy - sounds a bit fiddly but worth a try. So who's stalking who then?????

JoolsToo Sat 02-Apr-05 23:33:47

I thought that was the natural progression for tulips - tall and beautiful then BOOM drooping over the vase looking rather cool and then BAM dead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now