Talk

Advanced search

OMG what has happened to my belly?

(8 Posts)
singsong Sat 02-Apr-05 10:10:41

Ok I was under no illusion that I would look like Victoria Beckham after giving birth but now 8 months on things are getting worse. Just after Ds was born 8 months ago I went to the dentist and when she asked if I’d had any recent changes in health I told her I’d had a baby. She was really surprised and said she wouldn’t have known by looking at my figure. Then in a café I had people asking if the baby was mine and when I said yes they said “No! you don’t look like you’ve recently had a baby”. But now my tummy is so flabby I look like I did when I was 5 months preg. Over the last few weeks I’ve had three people ask me when my baby is due I could definitely do with losing some weight and I’m very slowly losing it (probably another stone to go) but my problem is not so much with my weight but where it is situated. Problem is I have always been quite slim and now since ds was born I still am slim in most places but just have this bulging belly so I look pregnant rather than overweight. I think I need a corset or something!

morningpaper Sat 02-Apr-05 10:16:28

I know I am always banging on about how great physiotherapists are, but I would ask your doctor to refer you to your local physio. Say you are worried that your stomach and back muscles (add the back bit for extra gravity) and would like to speak to a physio about the right kind of exercises to build up your strength again. They should be able to give you some advice.

ambrosia Sat 02-Apr-05 10:43:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WestCountryLass Sat 02-Apr-05 12:29:31

My belly is the bane of my life! I basically have a rubber ring around my middle. I am a size 2-14 everywhere else but I size 16 in the middle. I am dieting and doing exercise but then i'll have a bad day and pig out - I am no good at depriving myself!

If not situps then maybe a tummy tuck????

Caligula Sat 02-Apr-05 12:32:34

One of the best exercises you can do (while sitting at your computer tapping into Mumsnet!) is to pull your tummy muscles in and hold them, relax them, pull them in again and hold, etc.

A bit like pelvic floor exercises, just be aware of the fact that you've got these muscles and they need to be exercised.

Pilates is a very good base for tummy stuff and won't damage your back.

ambrosia Sat 02-Apr-05 12:41:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

singsong Sun 03-Apr-05 17:27:58

Oh damn, exercise, just what I thought you’d say. I know really that’s the solution but was just hoping someone had invented a magic pill or something

Dahlia Sun 03-Apr-05 18:04:52

Another good exercise is to lie face down on the floor in a press up position, legs straight, and push yourself up, keeping your body straight, as if you were doing a press up, but you can rest your weight on your upper arms, and hold your tummy in for as long as you can, then release and do as many as you can. Its a boring one, and its hard, but it really works. I think its called the plank. (You certainly feel like one doing it). Its all about gravity. Swimming is good too, just keep your tummy pulled in for as long as you can while you swim. It definitely works. My tummy is like a galia melon after having dd2, but I try not to let it reach watermelon status.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now