Talk

Advanced search

what culture is it that they shave the babies head after birth....

(16 Posts)
misdee Fri 01-Apr-05 22:58:24

and weigh the hair, then make payment to a god/church etc? i'm not too clued up on this, but wonder how much my girls would've cost me lol.

flamesparrow Fri 01-Apr-05 22:58:57

Islam I think....

misdee Fri 01-Apr-05 23:00:38

dh was talking about it today. the girls would've cost a fortune because of the amount of hair they have.

but i'll leave their hair where it is.

flamesparrow Fri 01-Apr-05 23:01:59

DD didn't have much hair, so we'd have gotten off lightly

ThomCat Fri 01-Apr-05 23:02:43

My cousin was adopted in argentina and they bought her home to the UK with a freshly shaven head from there.

flamesparrow Fri 01-Apr-05 23:03:25

Any Islam mums out there... can I ask what happens if you have a baby with no hair? Is it any kind of snub, or do you still contribute? Not being intentionally rude, genuinely interested, but can't get my wording quite right

misdee Fri 01-Apr-05 23:04:37

heres dd2 at 3 weeks old

hunkermunker Fri 01-Apr-05 23:05:40

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Misdee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

misdee Fri 01-Apr-05 23:07:48

and that hair didnt fall out. everyone said it would but it didnt. here she is again at one year old

flamesparrow Fri 01-Apr-05 23:08:00

Wow!!! B has that now, and she is 22 months!!!

flamesparrow Fri 01-Apr-05 23:08:41

My reply was to the 3 week picci... the 1 year one we're still not at!!!

misdee Fri 01-Apr-05 23:08:43

dd3 has similar amount of hair as dd2 had. we're placing bets on whether she'll be a curly haired one as well lol.

hunkermunker Fri 01-Apr-05 23:09:29

Oh, she's a sweetheart! DS has curls too - he had lots of hair when he was born and everyone said it would fall out too. What does everyone know, hey?!

jennifersofia Fri 01-Apr-05 23:11:20

Don't know about the payment to god (/Allah), but it is definitely part of Muslim culture - it is not unusual to see children up to toddlers with newly shaved heads in my neighborhood.. It is believed that it makes the hair grow better. My neighbors were very keen for me to shave my dd's heads - I never acted on it but I do wonder if it would have made a difference - my eldest dd is 4 and her hair has never grown past her shirt collar! (2 haircuts in her life.)

misdee Fri 01-Apr-05 23:13:18

dd1 hair is very fine. she has had many haircuts, and we did shave her hair at 2.5yrs old, but only a number 8. she wouldnt let a hairdresser near it so we just clipped it. it was quite cute actually.

flamesparrow Fri 01-Apr-05 23:13:38

I researched that at one point... and apparantly they tested people by cutting one half of their hair and measuring the growth, and by just leaving the other side alone, and there was no difference.

I thin it just makes it look longer/thicker because the ends have been blunted (or in a shaved baby, you can SEE the regrowth more)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now