Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

some ones just broke into our car

(22 Posts)
connyflower Fri 01-Apr-05 12:04:32

took radio, blutooth headset and other bits and pieces but someone has jsut knocked on our door (his car got done too) and has given me the name and address of the person, what would you do? should i just leave it or what ? the police already know the name but cant do anything as he has no evidence... i want my radio back!

connyflower Fri 01-Apr-05 12:09:41

bakedpotato Fri 01-Apr-05 12:10:31

did this 'someone' see the guy breaking into your car?

LIZS Fri 01-Apr-05 12:10:59

Have you notified the police (for insurance as much as to shop anyone) . If you do and they take fingerprints then they may be able to recover it. They may be able to catch him fencing it off , for example.

Hulababy Fri 01-Apr-05 12:11:59

Gather there are no finger prints on the cars to link them?

I personally wouldn't go round - you don't know what type of character this person is. They are not likely to just say "yes it is me, here, have it back" so not sure if it would achieve much, other than potentially put you in higher risk of having it happen again.

moschops Fri 01-Apr-05 12:22:15

we make sure if stuff like this happens we insist on an incident number (which you usually need for insurance claims anyway) and have found the police are usually a little bit more interested then as it is a recorded crime and effects their figures. they always try and fob us off that we don't need an incident number but we never let them get away with it!!!

i wouldn't go round (as tempted as i would be)because you aren't likely to get your stuff back anyway.

connyflower Fri 01-Apr-05 12:22:33

no this person is a bit of a nutter himself and found out that this lad broke into his ours and 2 more on the same night, no finger prints were left, bit scared to go round was thinkin about a letter just telling him what an arse he is total scum ....what could i do as revenge!

connyflower Fri 01-Apr-05 12:24:13

got crime number but going to loose all my no claims bonus.. and only covered for 100 worth of stolem stuff dp, drill tools were took so going to get nothin for them being taken

HappyDaddy Fri 01-Apr-05 13:04:47

Do you have a Cash Converter Shop near you? He'll be trying to flog it quick and those shops are notorious for having stolen gear in them.

Personally, I'd probably do something stupid like brick all his windows in the middle of the night or something. but I wouldn't recommend it.

jampots Fri 01-Apr-05 13:10:47

conny if you can get away without claiming on your insurance, surely your no claims bonus remains intact? but still notify insurance in case it prevents them from paying out in future

connyflower Fri 01-Apr-05 13:33:14

that ran through my mind too daddy cool..... was going to send him a letter telling him hed contracted a very nast s.t.i or something ( cant think of anything bad enough!)
gotta claim through insurance theyve damaged the door quite bad al centeral lockings been screwed estimated about 700 worth of damage, just havent got cash to get it fixed otherwise!

hub2dee Fri 01-Apr-05 14:02:06

If nutter (witness) claims they've seen nutter (vandalthiefman) then (police) can go and (search). No ?

anchovies Fri 01-Apr-05 14:04:53

How annoying! A similar thing happened to us so know how you must be feeling.

Make sure any serial numbers you have got get recorded on the crime report.

connyflower Fri 01-Apr-05 14:10:43

the NUTTER as in person who told me, was tipped off by someone else, has been to police and police cant do anything as there is no evidence of him taken them or having them in his house so they have nothin on him! apparently hes a drugs user and would have ben sold for next to nothin within hours of them being stolen, the police told dp that they know who it is but cant get anything on him! mad aint it!

SoupDragon Fri 01-Apr-05 14:20:13

Aren't any of the items covered under your house insurance instead?

connyflower Fri 01-Apr-05 14:24:56

dunno will check it out didnt think of claiming on home insurance!

HappyDaddy Fri 01-Apr-05 14:28:04

connyflower i'm not daddycool.

connyflower Fri 01-Apr-05 14:34:16

sorry happy daddy..... forgive me!!!

HappyDaddy Fri 01-Apr-05 14:39:24

No sweat, it seems to be a common mistake. The way to tell us apart is that I'm taller.

connyflower Fri 01-Apr-05 14:51:43

oh i see r u the one with the lovely smelling aftershave

HappyDaddy Fri 01-Apr-05 14:57:33

errr, yes of course!

hub2dee Fri 01-Apr-05 17:20:59

Only taller with the heels on, I've heard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now