Talk

Advanced search

There is a smell in my living room.. please help!

(12 Posts)
SleepyJess Fri 01-Apr-05 11:33:11

There is a smell, somewhere right here, around where I am sitting.. (near the computer)..and I can't get rid of it! We have moved all the furniture..cleaned the carpet numerous times to within an inch of its life.. (with Zoflora disinfectant no less!).. we can't find anything!

I keep thinking it's some horrible half-eaten thing that one of the kids have dropped... or worse, something dead!! It's a nasty subtle pong that you can only smell when you are over here near the computer. I have accused DH of planting a stink bomb to keep me off MN

My mother said maybe some milk has been spilt without us knowing.. but we have cleaned everything thoroughly so if there had been spilt milk it would be cleaned out now surely! The smell is getting slightly worse day by day.. and I am feeling like a real minger, with an unlocated smell in my house! Anyone got any advice?

(We do have the rabbit in the house sometimes.. and he had been known to poo in this direction.. but there is no poo under the desk or anywhere.. have checked and re checked. Oh and have planted onion which someone said killed smells. No change.)

PLEASE HELP!

SJ x

pixiefish Fri 01-Apr-05 11:35:18

what about the pooter itself- has something been dropped in that? is it worse when da pooter is on?

SleepyJess Fri 01-Apr-05 11:36:53

Hmm not sure.. it's always on! (Well nearly!) But where could it have been dropped in it?

tarantula Fri 01-Apr-05 11:36:53

Have you checked the computer itself? And the keyboard is really bad for getting things dropped into them.

pixiefish Fri 01-Apr-05 11:38:22

try lifting the cover off. its just that you say its near the pooter but you've cleaned everything else so was just grasping at straws

Snugs Fri 01-Apr-05 11:43:08

Is it a slightly fishy smell? That can be a sign of problems with electrical wiring.

Papillon Fri 01-Apr-05 11:46:03

Clothes peg might help

I ate salmon yesterday but didn´t visit you ... honestly!

Aimsmum Fri 01-Apr-05 11:46:13

Message withdrawn

Tissy Fri 01-Apr-05 11:47:26

dead animal/ bird under floorboards or behind boarded up fireplace?

SleepyJess Fri 01-Apr-05 11:58:38

Have checkec air vent in fire place. It's not been a proper fire place for a v long time so there is a proper wall there. The computer itselfjust smells of 'computery smells' - nothing gross.

The smell itself is a kind of 'gone off' smell.. like a muted smell of something rotting. Just had another complete search/wipe round.. and still it's wafting up as I type! Can't smell it anywhere else in the room/house! Arrgh!

SJ x

SleepyJess Fri 01-Apr-05 12:00:51

*thank you* for your constructive input Paps! Knowing you, you probably did visit me, remotely.. and plant a salmon! (Not that it is actually a fishy smell..)

SJ x

Snugs Fri 01-Apr-05 12:05:23

Can you move the computer to somewhere else and see if the smell moves too? Or even just try a different electrical socket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now