Talk

Advanced search

Need a parcel delivered but how much will it cost?

(29 Posts)
kid Thu 31-Mar-05 19:01:04

I need to get a parcel delivered (to me) but it seems it is going to cost more than the item is worth for postage. It measures more than 6 cubic feet and weighs approx 10kg (I think it has been seperated into 2 packages).

On royal mail website, a price of £10 was quoted. The postoffice are refusing to take it though due to the size. Its a childs desk that I won on Ebay for my DD, she would love it but I really can't stand the drive to collect it myself. I'm not a confident driver, so really don't want to do it.

I don't want to get a refund but it looks like I might have to if I can't get it delivered

stitch Thu 31-Mar-05 19:02:11

would it not have been cheaper to just go down to your local ikea store?/

kid Thu 31-Mar-05 19:05:04

its a one off hand painted desk. I've looked for one that my DD would like and this is perfect.
I know I probably paint one myself but it really is lovely

bundle Thu 31-Mar-05 19:05:23

how far is it kid?

hunkermunker Thu 31-Mar-05 19:09:45

Shouldn't the person selling it have looked into postage?

You could try something like TNT or UPS, but they might be very expensive.

lilsmum Thu 31-Mar-05 19:13:54

i have just sent a box of clothes to a MN'er and it weighed 11kg, cost was £11.21 standard parcels, i asked just outta curiousity how much for 1st class... £37!!!

stitch Thu 31-Mar-05 19:18:03

if you like it that much, then probly best to go pick it up. get someone else to if you cant. i presume that if you offer to pay them petrol, it will still be cheaper.

hunkermunker Thu 31-Mar-05 19:19:51

The thing with using a carrier like UPS or TNT is that they tend to go by volume rather than weight - withink reason they're not that bothered how much something weighs, but how much room it will take up.

Could the person who sold you the desk meet you halfway with it or is that ludicrous?

helsi Thu 31-Mar-05 19:20:25

If Royal Mail refuse then courier might be the best option - unless you can get a friend or someone to go with you.

kid Thu 31-Mar-05 19:23:39

The desk is in Chelsmford and I am in Hackney.
My friend has offered to drive me there but we will have to take 2 kids with us so not much room to put the desk in the car.

Twiglett Thu 31-Mar-05 19:30:58

How about those 'man with a van' that put ads in local papers .. they normally charge by the hour

hunkermunker Thu 31-Mar-05 19:31:40

Can you look after the kids and have your friend drive there on her own?

Twiglett Thu 31-Mar-05 19:32:31

according to multimap its about an hours journey so might cost you £20 or so

kid Thu 31-Mar-05 19:33:16

She didn't offer that. Will mention that to her tomorrow. How much do should I offer her for petrol?
She said it would take about an hour to get there so the man with a van might not work out any cheaper!

hunkermunker Thu 31-Mar-05 19:34:45

Get her to fill up her car before she goes, then fill it up for her when she gets back and buy her a bunch of flowers and a box of her fave chocs.

Twiglett Thu 31-Mar-05 19:36:38

that's a 2 hour round trip plus lifting - its a big favour to ask of a friend, unless you are very very close

does friend have a roof rack? maybe you could all go and put it on a roof rack?

kid Thu 31-Mar-05 19:38:38

She is doing the knowledge and likes driving, she said she really doesn't mind. I am a tiny, tiny bit tempted to do the driving with her sitting next to me giving me directions. I have been driving for 11 years and only managed to drive on a motorway for the first time last year. I am such a wimp, honestly!

Somanykiddies Thu 31-Mar-05 19:38:46

If it's of any use I live close to Chelmsford and would be willing to collect and store for you to collect from me at a more convenient time, ie when you won't have the children.

kid Thu 31-Mar-05 19:45:23

Thats a really kind offer Somanykiddies, I will let you know as soon as possible if that is neccesary.

Is parcel force the same as royal mail?
I have seen a quote for parcelforce48 but not sure if the same restrictions on size would apply.

Twiglett Thu 31-Mar-05 19:46:48

I'd drive it if I were you .. there's no motorways to Chelmsford .. its the A12

Somanykiddies Thu 31-Mar-05 19:47:50

More than welcome Kid, let me know.

kid Thu 31-Mar-05 19:49:05

Maybe we could arrange for a whole fleet of mumsnetters to help me on my way to make sure I don't get lost!

misdee Thu 31-Mar-05 19:49:23

parcelforce take larger parcels. its up to the seller btw to sort out posting it not you!!

lavenderrr Thu 31-Mar-05 19:49:51

if you can get to the post office I work at, we could do it for you, only thing is is in Cambridge, probably the same as you driving to pick it up, but the offer is there

kid Thu 31-Mar-05 19:51:56

They have said it will cost £21 to post. They will either give me a refund or I can sort something else out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now