Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bounty debate

(60 Posts)
evansmummy Wed 30-Mar-05 20:46:13

Does anyone use the Bounty forums? I've just been hugely insulted during a debate about early weaning and am feeling quite hurt. Does that sort of thing happen on mumsnet too, or is it just a terrible Bounty thing?

JoolsToo Wed 30-Mar-05 20:47:46

people get offended all the time - especially on breastfeeding and weaning - don't take anything personally and you'll live to tell the tale

Spacecadet Wed 30-Mar-05 20:53:01

there will always be someone who doesnt agree with your views, but there is no need to be rude about it, a lively debate is fine but ignore people who are down right rude.

ionesmum Wed 30-Mar-05 20:54:52

Hi, evansmummy! How awful for you. I only use mnet myself and people here seem pretty supportive, but parenting is one of those subjects that people feel very strongly on particularly bfeeding and weaning. I agree with JoolsToo - don't take it personally - the person that upset you knows nothing about you and has just got a bee in their bonnet about something.

wordgirl Wed 30-Mar-05 21:04:17

What on earth are you doing there evansmummy? At least you get an intelligent debate here

fuzzywuzzy Wed 30-Mar-05 21:04:27

oh dear was it the one where mothers were discussing weaning 6 week old baby's?? I don't post on bounty but ocassionally lurk.....

evansmummy Wed 30-Mar-05 21:08:59

Yes wordgirl! I totally agree with you, but didn't want to make any nast comments. And yes, fuzzy, it was the one about weaning at 6 weeks. I'm still fuming that one person told me to "shut up" because I'm against weaning at 6 weeks!!!

ionesmum Wed 30-Mar-05 21:11:51

What????? I wouldn't be offended, I'd be angry!!!! I can't believe there is anyone who thinks that's a good idea these days?

Spacecadet Wed 30-Mar-05 21:12:51

weaning at 6 weeks?? what onto solids???!

fuzzywuzzy Wed 30-Mar-05 21:14:54

yes solids as in jars from the supermarket (I think Hipp organic jars were mentioned) it's a very bizarre thread tbh. I was reading it with my jaw steadily dropping lower and lower.......

Spacecadet Wed 30-Mar-05 21:18:34

omg! I am in shock hang on while I compose myself, surely thatwould be harmful to a baby?, it used to be 12 weeks at the earliest when dd1 was born 14 years ago, but with dd2 the health visitor said not before 4 months at the very earliest.

ionesmum Wed 30-Mar-05 21:19:50

Haven't been to the Bounty site so don't want to offend, but could this be something to do with all the c**p that comes in a Bounty pack? (assuming there's a connection.) I felt that the content was all dominated by the products of the multinationals and mum& baby just consumers to have stuff pushed at. We ended up chucking our pack as I couldn't find anyone who wanted the stuff.

fuzzywuzzy Wed 30-Mar-05 21:21:22

according to the mothers who were doing it, their babies slept better for it and were not suffering any side effects..... so that's OK then??? Any mother expressig shock or disbelief was promptly slapped down.

ionesmum Wed 30-Mar-05 21:21:40

This time around I was advised not to wean dd2 until 6MO! 6 Weeks? Has someone got their wires crossed?????

Mind you, if I had a pound for each time someone told me to give my unsettled dd1 solids in a bottle at this age...

Spacecadet Wed 30-Mar-05 21:22:38

slept better? I guess they were knocked unconcious, poor little sods.

ionesmum Wed 30-Mar-05 21:23:12

Fuzzywuzzy, this is just what I was told. My step mil thought I was mad because I wouldn't give dd1 cereal at bedtime, she did it with her grandds and 'it helped him to sleep'.

evansmummy Wed 30-Mar-05 21:23:23

Yeah, it's been really horrible. Iwas firstly shocked at the early weaning suggestions, then at the fact that because I disagreed I was insulted. I felt like I was in a school playground. I am considering disowning Bounty...

Spacecadet Wed 30-Mar-05 21:24:30

Oh yes the old wives used to say put some cereal in the bottle, My hv told me not to wean dd2 until 6 months, but as she wasnt gaining weight very well she told me to wean her at 16 weeks, and I was happy to, but wouldnt have done it earlier, their poor little digestive systems cant cope.

ionesmum Wed 30-Mar-05 21:24:48

Some people you just can't get through to.

ionesmum Wed 30-Mar-05 21:25:36

Agree, Spacecadet.

fuzzywuzzy Wed 30-Mar-05 21:27:45

I've held off weaning till dd2 turned 6mths, however the earliest I would have considered would have been 4mths certainly not 6wks. They do seem slightly barmy over on bounty.
I wouldn't take it to heart Evansmummy, I'm pretty sure the mums on here would wholeheartedly agree with you.

Spacecadet Wed 30-Mar-05 21:28:20

Im sory, but whoever it was that said they wean at 6 weeks will end up with an ill little baby. Stay away from bounty evansmum, mn is all you need

ionesmum Wed 30-Mar-05 21:28:54

Absolutely!

Spacecadet Wed 30-Mar-05 21:30:05

its kept me sane over the last few months !!!!

evansmummy Wed 30-Mar-05 21:30:39

Carry on like that and you'll have a convert! It's a bit boring over there anyway, always the same questions and the same debates. And I still can't believe she told me to shut up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now