Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Deciding how much to spend on a child's toys...

(9 Posts)
lljkk Wed 30-Mar-05 20:01:55

I have recurring dilemnas when DS sees a toy (usually at a friend's house) that he'd really like, and I know that he really would play with it a lot. Do I buy it? I hate always saying "Sorry, but that's too expensive", especially when really we could spare the money for the much coveted toy. I think DS has fewer "nice" toys than many of the other children we see, and we have about as much money as the parents. But I can't decide if we "should" just buy him nice toys to keep up (he and his friends spend a lot of time talking about what toys are in their houses!), or because he'd enjoy them very much.

Both DH & are frugal by nature & don't buy many toys for ourselves, either!! Should we make DS wait for his birthday (8 months away)? Even at his birthday I wouldn't usually think to spend as much as the toy today cost (in excess of £250, I think). But we could afford it if we wanted to.

If we buy this toy for him, now, should we buy as nice a toy for DD at the same time? I never know how to figure out how much is "enough" and how much is "too much" to spend on toys for the children, esp. for toys inbetween birthdays. Is there a way to figure that one out?

purplelumpy Wed 30-Mar-05 20:04:21

I think it depends on the toy in question - if it's say something for the garden or educational then yes i'd get it - but if it's say a game console then i'd wait till birthday / xmas i class these as luxury presents.

kama Wed 30-Mar-05 20:06:58

Message withdrawn

WestCountryLass Wed 30-Mar-05 22:03:51

How old is your son?

My son is 3.5 and has no idea whether something costs 50p or £50 so I buy him things hen he wants/needs them so long as we can afford it and do sometimes use the said item as a reward.

starlover Wed 30-Mar-05 23:05:08

I personally would wait until his birthday.
And yes, I would get something for your dd as well.
£250 IS an awful lot of money to spend on one toy... and when your kids have an idea of what things cost (if they don't already) then I would imagine your DD would be a bit upset that you spent that much on him and nothing on her

lljkk Thu 31-Mar-05 08:26:12

DS is 5yo. It's a big train set, Playmobil, includes at least the top 2 sets on this page , plus extra track, a level crossing ....he likes them because they're big, because he can almost imagine riding on it, I suppose! I think I have decided he won't get enough play out of it before he's bored with it, am trying to persuade him of that, now, LOL.

But thinking about it I have decided to get him a nice pirate ship (for a mere £20-£30) because he's been asking for that for ages & I think he will play with it for years to come.

Metrobaby Thu 31-Mar-05 08:41:58

I don't spend anywhere near the £250 for dd's xmas and birthday presents . I do buy her occassional toys but only when completing her star chart. She then gets to choose a toy which is between £5 -£20. She is 4yrs. As she has lots of toys already, much of which she only plays with occassionally, I don't want to inundate her with even more toys.

clary Thu 31-Mar-05 08:50:36

wow lljkk that's a lot of money imho.
I guess it depends on yr financial circs/how much room in yr house etc.
I have to say that we buy toys as a rule only at b/day and christmas (se have 2 summer and one april b/day so that spreads otu quite well).
would buy something small (colouring book, lego model for £5) as a special treat for a good achievement (eg if dd ever stops sucking her thumb!!!) and get books fairly often too.
I think a 5yo can have some idea of the value of things. If I were buying my 5yo a £250 toy I would want there to be a really good reason.
The pirate ship sounds like a better option!

Bozza Thu 31-Mar-05 08:52:34

Couldn't you have bought part of the set and then if he liked it added to it for his birthday? We did this with DS - bought the playmobil aeroplane for Christmas and then added the airport for his birthday - still only £80 altogether mind you.

Also am wary about this toys that they love at other people's houses. Often does not hold the same appeal at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now