Talk

Advanced search

computer help needed

(9 Posts)
tatt Wed 30-Mar-05 14:55:46

At the moment I have two versions of windows on my computer - XP and 98. I can access the internet from windows 98 but can't make a connection work with XP. Don't know how to switch from one to the other without turning off the machine and starting again. Anyone any suggestions?

Kelly1978 Wed 30-Mar-05 15:05:50

Why would you have two? It will take up huge amounts of memory, and there isn't any way of switching without shutting the current windows down.

tatt Wed 30-Mar-05 15:37:06

because I thought when I installed windows xp it would overwrite 98 and it didn't. I'm not sure I'm up to wiping the machine and starting from scratch. However we also seem to have some programs than won't run with windows 98 (childrens games).

tatt Wed 30-Mar-05 15:37:40

BTW it doesn't take all that much memory.

Kelly1978 Wed 30-Mar-05 15:40:24

Has the modem drivers been installed onto XP. That could be a cause of the problem. I meant to say h/d space, not memory.

tatt Wed 30-Mar-05 15:49:56

They must be as it says its connected but then says no web pages are available. Thanks for trying, kelly. Bigger hard disc that I need but net access finishes at 4p.m so will be back tomorrow.

tatt Wed 30-Mar-05 15:51:21

Oh meant some programmes that won't run with windows xp earlier. We do have some that need XP but it surprised me that some would run with 98 and not run with xp.

Snugs Wed 30-Mar-05 16:06:52

If a program was produced before XP came on the market, then it might not run but you can run the compatability wizard and get it working that way.

Have you loaded your ISP software on XP? Sounds like your modem is working, but you aren't connecting to an ISP server.

tatt Thu 31-Mar-05 04:05:11

thanks snugs. I forgot to say there are two hard drives in this computer, we had an old one put into it. Windows XP insalled itself on the old drive and doesn't seem to have an option to choose the location. I have put the ISP software on that drive, that's how I connect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now