Talk

Advanced search

Sick and tired of things going missing...

(23 Posts)
Pamina3 Wed 30-Mar-05 13:53:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS Wed 30-Mar-05 14:00:35

Know the feeling. Keep treading on bits of Playmobil, Barbie and Doll accessories which have mysteriously got under the rug. Get that sickening crack

tiffini Wed 30-Mar-05 14:05:35

my house is no different (crap everywhere)i think we have to learn to live with it foe the first few years.

jabberwocky Wed 30-Mar-05 14:14:32

How about plastic boxes with labels for different things? And then tell her it is her responsibility to keep them together.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Wed 30-Mar-05 14:16:42

jabberwocky, I tried that whole box labelling thing. It only works because it means I have no more guilt about things being broken, lost, hoovered up. It doesn't prevent tears. lol

TinyGang Wed 30-Mar-05 14:18:17

Oh, welcome to my world...

The answer is yes, you probably should be more Zen about it, but if you're like me, try as you might you cannot be.

I am always ferreting about looking for a missing bit of crap because:

1. It's always the 'vital' bit, as you say.

2. It'll go up my vaccuum cleaner and cost a fortune to mend it.

3. Most embarresingly, I am very sad and it's just so b**y irritating that whatever has gone missing and must be found at all costs, because I'm anal about things like that! I know it shouldn't bug me but oh, it DOES!

I break into a cold sweat at the sight of all those itty bitty sets of toys and puzzels that turn up at present time, muttering 'must tidy' to myself as it is tipped out and hurled in all directions.

I used to use the excuse that the younger ones would choke on the little bits, but they're bigger now and that isn't so much of a problem. Of course now they are collecting their own toys with zillions of bits so I'm now on my hands and knees behind three instead of one child! I must admit, even I can't keep up with it all as much as I used to - I think the crap is winning.

I probably need to get help..!

jabberwocky Wed 30-Mar-05 14:21:21

Oooh, tinygang, I didn't want to admit it, but I'm the same way. Ds is 19 months and doesn't care a flip about things like that but I get frantic sometimes looking for all the pieces of a puzzle, etc. So, I have to fess up and say that the plastic boxes were for myself! And, you're right, MarsLady, it helps a bit, but I still get obsessive about it .

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Wed 30-Mar-05 14:28:03

PMSL jabber

Pamina3 Wed 30-Mar-05 14:35:20

pinotgrigio Wed 30-Mar-05 14:36:26

I looked under the sofa over the weekend. <<shudders at the thought>>

Me & DP are both clean freaks but we just gently lowered the sofa back down again and pretended we hadn't seen anything. It was just too traumatic.

TinyGang Wed 30-Mar-05 14:48:06

I took advantage of children being out of the way yesterday to really sort their toys out.

Everything is now neatly back where it should be - ready to play with some sort of logic. But it won't last . The first chance they get (me sadly looking on with sinking heart) they'll be back in their playroom hurling stuff about then asking me where xyz is, whilst crunching stuff underfoot.

I opened up one dolly's bag yesterday to find that someone had stuffed it full of grass (WHY!?) and a collection of unrelated little toys.

See what we're up against! Glad it's not just me who's sad though!

Pamina3 Wed 30-Mar-05 14:52:15

psychomum5 Wed 30-Mar-05 14:59:18

I don't now how many kiddies any of you have, but imagine my haouse sometimes with 5 around!!!!

I have bits from Bratz, Polly Pockets, Jigsaw's, Barbies, My scene, Spider Man shooters etc etc!! They have learnt over the years tho that mummy doesn't care if they get lost cos they should have taken more care themselves, so now they actually keep their own stuff up together. It has been a hard slog getting them to that stage, but they reached it, and I breathe easy now.
But then, they have their rooms and a playroom to play in, leaving the lounge for the big toys only, which my 2yr old plays with.

One thing I have found helpful for them is the see thro plastic drawers which is where all the bits get put, and they then just pull out a drawer at a time.

Bagpuss30 Wed 30-Mar-05 15:02:28

Hmm, yes, this is us too I'm afraid. I've got some plastic lidded boxes to stick each set in and they are played with in bedrooms only as the plastic seems to stay put on carpet (we have laminate downstairs). The only advice I have to give is to not get stressed about it when things go missing. I have to say that things always seem to magically turn up somewhere, so I have just given up trying to find them now.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Wed 30-Mar-05 15:03:07

welcome to my world psychomumof5. I have 5 as well. Boys bits, girls bits, tiny bottles that belong to tiny dogs that stay in tiny hospitals/vans etc. Rugby balls, footballs, tennis balls, cricket balls. Racquets, bats, stumps. Polly Pocket, tamogotchi, puzzles, party bag toys Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr........... I could go on but I'm starting to scare myself. Tiny Tikes, Happyland, Lego, Megabloks, Fisher Prices................... Someone SAVE ME!!!!!!!!!!!

psychomum5 Wed 30-Mar-05 15:07:40

Not saving...joining in

.......Badge it bits..make-up (grrrr)....operation game bits ... dress-up shoes .. beads .. play jewellry .. action mans bits .. lego (that hurts lots when you tread on it .....

Oh god help us!!!!!!

Pamina3 Wed 30-Mar-05 15:09:31

psychomum5 Wed 30-Mar-05 15:09:43

AND....

How many of you here get so stressed with those awful tie bits that tie all toys to the packaging they come in.....I truly believe that one of the requirements for that job is an interest in torture!!!

TinyGang Wed 30-Mar-05 15:09:47

Lol at 'action man's bits', sorry!

psychomum5 Wed 30-Mar-05 15:13:32

I have to make sure that they only play little bits toys upstairs, ort they have to wait till the little ones sleep. They normally get so bored waiting for said little one to go to sleep they go with my first suggestion of playing upstairs!!!

Ooooh...and I haven't been averse to sticking toys in the bin that get found in the little ones hands....they learn bloody quick then!

psychomum5 Wed 30-Mar-05 15:14:28

LOL.....action man bits.....never even realised what I said....or do we just have dirty minds????

Bagpuss30 Wed 30-Mar-05 15:16:04

Pamina, bedrooms are the only answer! I have just this afternoon been telling ds that when the baby arrives he will have to keep all his spiderman lego in his room. He is actually pretty good about playing with it in there anyway and almost always remembers to shut the door so that dd can't go in which is lucky. Doing the almighty blitz required to actually get into his room to put washing away etc is the bit that annoys me .

Pamina3 Thu 31-Mar-05 09:00:21

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now